NEW UPDATES Jig painting I did some

tckurt

Hi all.
Been reading lots on your site on painting.but have questions if you could help.

#1 the powder paint sounds like more than I want to get into,from sand blaster to heat
cure and even getting hot to paint.so I think this is out for me.

#2 I have saw some but not alot on fingernail polish as a jig paint any input ?

#3 hang jigs with tape over hooks and use spray cans and spray clear over
for final finish ?

#4 I have a couple airbrushes I could also do multi colors this way I think. and spray clear over
for final finish ?

what do you suggest for a beginner as I said thought about powder but I just do
not want this at this time ,thanks for any input

Fin and Fur

I'm a big fan of nail polish, comes in any color you want. Clear coat with Sally Hansen's hard as nails. They've been beat down the river bottom with minimal damage if any.

tckurt

Fin and Fur said:
I'm a big fan of nail polish, comes in any color you want. Clear coat with Sally Hansen's hard as nails.  They've been beat down the river bottom with minimal damage if any.

Thanks Fin and Fur.
do you apply right to lead head or use some type base coat first?

Fin and Fur

I apply it directly to the lead then finish painting rest of the batch then go back and reapply to any thin spots. Tie then soak all thread wraps and the rest of the head with hard as nails. That's just me and my cheap redneck ways. The rest of these guys know their stuff, and will probably give you tips on vinyl paint as an option too.

Fin and Fur

Side note, I generally walk through beauty isle and pick up the colors I like when they're on sale for 50 cents or the dollar store has a good selection and three packs. Always funny checking out, it's good for a weird look at minimum, from the cashier or people in line.

Jay Wirth

I have tried most everything including the Emmo Kid nail polish with all the cool colors and occasionally use spray enamels for special colored heads (usually over a base of epoxy).

Each technique / type of paint has its pros / cons. I would suggest you stay away from nail polish and hobby enamels - because they are crap.

I use Epoxy paint (and buoy paint for florescent colors) which I brush by hand. Pros: lost of colors, durable, quick, Clean eyes, doesn't react with rubber, can also be sprayed. Cons: price, chemicals. odor.

Good quality enamel have pros / cons similar to epoxy

Which ever you choose we would love to see what you make.

If you are starting from scratch powder isn't a bad way to go.

Kdog

Air brushing can produce outstanding results. Overcoat with hard as nails or D2T and you have very nice, durable jigs. Having said that, I prefer powder coat for durability and simplicity.

Small jigs 1/4 ounce and under are a PITA to air brush especially when doing multiple colors. Powder coating has many advantages and the set up is quite simple a heat source (heat gun from harbor Freight ~$8.00 some forceps ~3.00 some jars of powder paint $5 - $8 and you are in business. A curing oven ~$20 AT WAL MART or less at yard sales and yyou have a complete set up). note: curing oven is optional although highly recomended for long term durability. Some Q tips or small brushes for tap painting if you want to do multiple colors.

The hardest part about powder coating is doing your first one. After that you will wonder why to ever did anything else.

Pup

tckurt said:
Hi all.
Been reading lots on your site on painting.but have questions if you could help.

#1 the powder paint sounds like more than I want to get into,from sand blaster to heat
cure and even getting hot to paint.so I think this is out for me.

#2 I have saw some but not alot on fingernail polish as a jig paint any input ?

#3 hang jigs with tape over hooks and use spray cans and spray clear over
for final finish ?

#4 I have a couple airbrushes I could also do multi colors this way I think. and spray clear over
for final finish ?

what do you suggest for a beginner as I said thought about powder but I just do
not want this at this time ,thanks for any input
  1. Sand blasting is unnecessary.  Heat the jig head with a utility lighter, the kind used to ignite charcoals for barbeque grills.  Cure your jig heads inside of a toaster oven as was discussed previously in this thread.  The cost per painted jig head is really cheap.  You can mix your powder paints easily to create additional colors.
  2. Fingernail polish is quick, neat, and easy.  Dries in no time.  Coat it with a two-part epoxy to get the greatest durability out of your jig head's finish.  Colors can look spectacular.
  3. Messy and wasteful.
  4. Never have tried this.

My advice is to begin with nail polish and coat with epoxy.  Then tackle powder painting whenever you feel comfortable.

tckurt

Ok have not read a lot on powder paint as it sounded like lots to buy
but I am starting to think on it more .
How do you know you have jig hot enough with lighter or heat gun to dip it ?

Jig Man

That is the hardest part of the deal, and most critical. If it isn't hot enough the powder wont stick. If you get it too hot, I have had the lead fall off the hook. LOL It's just trial and error, sometimes the lead will get shinny. There are some good how too's on you tube for reference.
And it isn't a big investment unless you want it to be. I use a propane torch on very very low. Turn the jig continuously for about a count of 8. Then stuff it into the powder, swirl and see if it sticks. If you get too much powder on, run it back thru the heat... Rinse-lather-repeat, just kidden. Practice makes better in my case, not perfect. Someone else will have to tell you how to cure. It isn't that big of a deal either, but I always get shot down when I say how I do it. And one last thing, it is very addicting!

duffy

I started out with vinyl paint years ago on plain jigs before I started tying, switched to powder and will never look back. Powder never seems to go bad, it is very fast, as in, with a bic lighter and forceps you  could actually paint some up in your boat and fish them in about 3 min. I don't do large runs like the commercial guys but I just use a heat gun, forceps and an old toaster oven. I did make a fluid bed for about $14 and it's nice for doing a mess of jigs but not necessary. My heat gun get's really hot so it only takes a count of 4-5 to pre-heat the jig, then lightly swirl in the paint and then finish melting it over the heat gun carefully. I have noticed that Netcraft branded paint takes less pre heat and after heat to stick and melt than the Pro Paint. Another thing I use to practice on or for checking color combo's/mixtures is the tabs off of pop or beer cans. I tear them off anyway so have a bucket of them and they work good for testing without messing up a jig, plus their bright silver so the colors show up good. I had tried spray can enamel years ago and then top coated them with urethane but they took forever to dry and they would really stink for quite a while so I bagged that idea. Powder is a little tougher to get multiple colors but with a little practice it's not bad. I just like the quick drying time and durability.

JUNGLEJIM1

I highly recommend powder paint. I used vinyl and nail polish and I'm sure I killed more than a few brain cells with those with all the fumes even in a well ventilated area. Start with a couple of colors and start mixing your own once you start accumulating enough colors and you get different shades. 95% of the powders I have I blended myself. A 1/32 only takes a few seconds with a lighter and it's ready to dip. Heavier jigs take longer, trial and error. I've been powder painting longer than I've been tying and have been tying over 20 years and I still enjoy all aspects of this hobby. Great idea with the pop tabs duffy, going to start doing that.

JUNGLEJIM1

I highly recommend powder paint. I used vinyl and nail polish and I'm sure I killed more than a few brain cells with those with all the fumes even in a well ventilated area. Start with a couple of colors and start mixing your own once you start accumulating enough colors and you get different shades. 95% of the powders I have I blended myself. A 1/32 only takes a couple seconds with a lighter and it's ready to dip. Heavier jigs take longer, trial and error. I've been powder painting longer than I've been tying and have been tying over 20 years and I still enjoy all aspects of this hobby. Great idea with the pop tabs duffy, going to start doing that.

tckurt

thanks for all the info I will see about giving this powder paint a try some day

hookup

Don't over think it. I started powder painting jigs when was at a fishing show & saw an 8-year old painting them with a BiC lighter and dipping them, then putting them on a rack for sale.

Back