Line selection

Kdog

I still love my tatsu Fluorocarbon but is expensive.

Decided to look at other offerings OMG everyone is on a fluorocarbon kick. and it ranges in price from 19.00 to 190.00 for 1000yds.  Braid is not much different price is not as spread out. keeping those thoughts in mind
what line is everyone using this year or which lines have you had the best luck with.  Personal experience shows line less than 0.008" in dia is almost a necessity which means 6# test and occasionally 8#

Ive tried a few fluorocarbons that had terrible knot strength, some rated test is over or under actual just not enough money or time to test all of them

AllenOK

Almost every single rod I own has braid. Lbs test depends on what I intend to use that rod for, ranging from 10 lbs test on my panfish rod to 85 lbs test on my dedicated Flathead Catfish rigs. The 85 lbs test is probably overkill, especially up here in MI.

My one UL Crappie rod has 6 lbs test Nanofil on it. It works pretty good, but I might need to think about respooling it this year.

My ice fishing reels all have 2 lbs test mono on them.

Jig Man

I use nano fill on my egg beaters. Clear water I put a leader of fluorocarbon. Mono on the casters, or use it as a backing for something else.

duffy

If I don't go more than I have in the last few years I'm not gonna need any. Mostly use 10# Fireline on all the walleye stuff in the rocks. Tied up some 12# fluro on some worm harnesses but haven't tried them out yet. Have had better luck with the Trilene 100% Pro Fluro than the regular Trilene Vanish. don't know why the difference but the Pro holds the knot's way better than the Vanish. Short of gluing the knots on the Vanish I couldn't get a knot to hold worth a darn, and for me that's just too much screwing around. Used the old Iron Silk on my wife's spin cast and that thing would cast a mile plus it held up pretty good for her too. Don't know if the new stuff is as good as the old was though.
Every time I get the hi-tech itch I think back to catching lot's of fish with a old fiberglass pole and a Zebco 202 spooled with plain mono. :D

Hawnjigs

KISS
Larger trout here need hard snappy hooksets to stick best served by microfiber. Later, wipers will hang at max outside casting range, and Nano will deliver both casting distance and no stretch hookset reaction. Altho trout undoubtedly have superb vision, not sure fluoro has any advantage - yesterday Jon got the first trout of the day, a chunk 7# on his usual 17# Power Pro leader.

hookup

Suffix 832 mostly, but Tectan & Mean Green when conditions dictate

Back