Latest Mustad Jig Hooks

Hawnjigs

KISS
Thankfully, the 32833 BLNs are still near perfect.
32786 NPBN appear to be decent after a dull point batch a few years ago.

NPBN "Needle Point Black Nickel" is Mustad's update to original BLN Ultra Point Black Nickel. Newer NPBN points have a long narrow Gami style point taper compared to older fuller tapered Ultra Point.

I'd given up on old school Mustad "Classic" jig hooks many years ago but thought I'd check if newer mfg improved any. Wrong! 34184D 1/0 was worse than ever with MANY twisted and side kinked eyes and ALL had dull points. Cost too much to return from HI so guess I'm gonna have to straighten hundreds of eyes and sharpen 1,000 points.

Shorty's Mustad prices will hike next year, so best get em this year.

Bucho

Thanks for the heads up!

I am very, very happy with the 32833. Never know what people do with the jigs I sell them, be it huchen, wels catfish or asian carp. Only thing that bothers me is the short "neck", it doesn´t fit into every mold. Sometimes it simply doesn´t reach into the eye spare. Typical example is the USD Shad dart mold. Or it doesn´t leave enough space so the lead doesn´t reach into space between hook shank and mold. Have to do every 3rd steelhead jig again.

The 32786 seems to be fine, but I have no use for a 60° hook. How about the 32746? or does the 32786 fit anyhow? I have no experience with 60° hooks and don´t want to find out the long, costly way..

Hawnjigs

KISS
The heavy wire 32786 is totally different to comparable size # heavy wire 90* jig hooks due to wider gap & shorter shank, so the two styles aren't comparable being designed for different apps. I personally have no use for wide gaps, but many bass and salt water flats anglers prefer them.

IMO the 32746 is the best buy Do-it fit Aberdeen light wire jig hook available. Gamakatsu equivelant 114 doesn't seem as sturdy and Owners are nice but really expensive for light wire.

The non-fit of 32833 in most production molds can be advantageous if one wishes to offer a unique product of impeccable quality.

Shoemoo

Bucho said:
Thanks for the heads up!

I am very, very happy with the 32833. Never know what people do with the jigs I sell them, be it huchen, wels catfish or asian carp. Only thing that bothers me is the short "neck", it doesn´t fit into every mold. Sometimes it simply doesn´t reach into the eye spare. Typical example is the USD Shad dart mold. Or it doesn´t leave enough space so the lead doesn´t reach into space between hook shank and mold. Have to do every 3rd steelhead jig again.

The 32833 is specifically made to fit Do-It molds STL-8S-A and STL-8M-A. The short leg is so the eye sits perfectly on top of the round head and there's a bigger gap between the point and the top of the eye. Never heard of anyone using them in other commercial molds, though I imagine there are custom molds out there that use them.

hookup

Mustad must have hired Matzuo's quality control people.

Hawnjigs

KISS
Or vice versa...

Yah, other than designated STLs, Do-its need to be modified for 32833, not always practical especially in collared head designs. Mustad actually released the 32833 well before Do-it made STLs available, counting on those already Gami 2554 capable as their initial market base.

goodtimesfishing

I love the 32833 great hook. I use it in the stl mold and also in a couple other molds. The molds that are not made for it I was able to make work by slamming the mold shut on the hook a few times until it would close all the way....now it works great everytime. I use it in pony heads and in round heads with eye socket.

Hawnjigs

KISS
GTF, what are you catching with 32833 ponies & what size hooks in what weight heads? Are you tying them? If'n its not a secret...

After watching Bucho's underwater performance video, I'm tempted to add ponies to my arsenal.

goodtimesfishing

View attachment 2View attachment 1
Hawnjigs said:
GTF, what are you catching with 32833 ponies & what size hooks in what weight heads? Are you tying them? If'n its not a secret...

After watching Bucho's underwater performance video, I'm tempted to add ponies to my arsenal.

I use them as a twitching jig for coho. I also plan on trying them out for steelhead under a float.
For twitching for coho I use 2/0 with 3/8 head and for steelhead float fishing I will use 1/8 head with #2 hook. I also use the 32833 with my round head with eye socket mold. I also have the stl mold for those hooks but like to have something a bit different for when the salmon or steelhead get tight lipped after seeing so many of the same thing drifting by them in the river. 99.9% of the jigs used seem to be just standard round heads and sometimes all it takes to turn the bite back on is showing them something different. I have not taken any pics of my jigs lately.....but here is a couple older pics I think I have posted before. I will be making some more in the next few days and will post pics.

Attachments

• twitchen jigs 002r.jpg
    twitchen jigs 002r.jpg
    123.6 KB · Views: 63
  • twitchen jigs 008r.jpg
    twitchen jigs 008r.jpg
    99.8 KB · Views: 62

Hawnjigs

KISS
Revisiting, those are some killer interpretations of your area standard ties. I'll bet you do outfish the guys throwing same ol', especially with that pony.

The 3/8 HD pony looks like it could excel in any environment from jungle rivers to salty reefs on any predator that could be managed on up to 30 or 40# braid.

Hawnjigs

KISS
5 years later obsessed with wipers took a chance on 32786 1/0 this year concerned about short strikes due to the short shank and failure to mouth due to the wide gap and that hook is now my fave in a 1/4 head.  Even 6" smallies and crappie manage to engulf with a 3" soft bait.

Heavy wire and pronounced barb require more hookset force but once hooked VERY few wipers of any size drop off.  Used to like 1/0 & 2/0 lite wire hooks which allowed propellers and plastic beads to be installed onto the shanks to hold 3" plastics but as the wipers got bigger so did occasional bendouts.  Full metal collars now work just fine and bendouts are history.

In fact, increased holding power caused the mainshaft of my Pflueger Arbor 7430 to cant to a side.  Now upsized to a 7440.

jiggerjohn

My old ,now late, fishing buddy often had trouble stingin' largemouth bass on the hookset. Then he located the shortest shank jighook I ever saw. Soon thereafter he stung almost everything that engulfed his slider worms & light jighead. His proven theory was "short shank jighead is the last thing blown in, but the first thing , and FASTEST, coming out during the set!"

Hawnjigs

KISS
8 years later Mustad 32746 NPBN appears to be slightly softer wire altho still a sharp pointed decent quality hook. Gamakatsu 114 is now my light wire choice in sizes I use 1/0, 2/0, & 3/0 being a bit less bendy.

32833 remains a quality heavier wire standard gap hook for superior bendout resistance apps.

hookup

Couple months ago was able to stock up on Matzuo's. Barlows must have had a hidden stash they found and was able to get all the sizes I fish with.

When I couldn't get Matzuo's, got some Eagle Claw Little Nasties. They work nicely too

Back