Inline casting spoon

Bucho

Inspired by the buzz bomb, I got myself some jigging spoon molds the other day. First tests with the new tins were promising.

20232590zf.jpg
20232588zq.jpg
20232589xz.jpg

Especially the flutter jig caught my attention. Under tank-testing, I noticed it would perform a nice -how should I describe it - spin-stall. Meaning it spins and breaks away when you pause the retrieve. A very sought-after feature in a far casting seatrout spoon. When I testet the 3/4 oz one today horizontally, it was grabbed by a nice 20" would-be-keeper seatrout on the 3. cast. The fish was hooked right under the rod tip, just when I tried to find out if the lure would perform this maneuver. Before I knew it, it was in the surface, went berzerk and threw the hook...

Many heavy seatrout plugs here are designed as inliners to help prevent this from happening. After a few more casts and another, barely legal seatrout being landet, I rushed back into the shop to get the dremel out:

20276912pg.jpg

20276913dt.jpg

Tank-testing proved fine, however a rather thick wire diameter is needed to get a nice spin even with a dressed hook. That again gets in the way of the eye sockets which are already almost back-to back as they are.

AtticaFish

Administrator
Staff member
Cool modification and those are great looking spoons. Would think they would allow a little more room between the eye indents since it needs a wire form through it anyway.

goodtimesfishing

Great idea to make them like buzz bombs.....I would recommend not using a wire. Just run your line thru the jig, then a bead(to protect knot) and then hook.....I like to use dressed hook.
I think you will find the action to be better if you don't use a wire thru the jig.
I believe the action is much more natural looking when the line is thru the jig, rather then line being tied to eye. Another benefit of line thru jig vs eye(cc wire form)is, once fish is hooked the lead is free to slide so that the fish can't use lure for leverage to twist hook out of mouth.

Pup

Very cool Bucho. This has been an interesting introduction to a bait that I wasn't familiar with.

Thanks, too, for your recommendations Goodtimesfishing. :icon14: If I ever use one of these, I'll be sure to put them to use.

Bucho

@ goodtimesishing:
That´s what I am speaking about. The greased wire is only there for the casting in order to create a cavity for the line. I´ts pulled afterwards, evt. left in for powder coating. However, a larger diameter improves the lure action but interferes with the eye sockets while casting. Got me 1 gr more weight, a lot of flash and the sprue became very hard to cut of. All I am sayin is that mold-modulation should include taking off some material from the eyesockets.

Here is a nice danish site with pictures of classic inline patterns, all developed by small-time-lure craftsmen (Whom I would never steal designs from):

http://www.stevnsfisker.dk/gennem.html

AtticaFish

Administrator
Staff member
Ron Don - Had pretty much the same idea in my head. A lot of people on Lake Erie use trolling spoons for walleye and some for casting as well. Those little sizes might even do the trick on big crappie.

goodtimesfishing

Bucho said:
@ goodtimesishing:
That´s what I am speaking about. The greased wire is only there for the casting in order to create a cavity for the line. I´ts pulled afterwards, evt. left in for powder coating. However, a larger diameter improves the lure action but interferes with the eye sockets while casting. Got me 1 gr more weight, a lot of flash and the sprue became very hard to cut of. All I am sayin is that mold-modulation should include taking off some material from the eyesockets.

Here is a nice danish site with pictures of classic inline patterns, all developed by small-time-lure craftsmen (Whom I would never steal designs from):

http://www.stevnsfisker.dk/gennem.html

I misunderstood what you are trying to do......I see what you mean now and it is a great idea!
I may have to give that a try sometime....I like the line thru jig better then using the cc wire forms. GREAT idea....one I am sure I will try.
Also, I love the link you posted. I was disappointed that it is in a different language I don't know and then when I was just about finished looking at all the great pics and wondering what all the writing was saying, I notice the translate button.........looks like I will be taking another look at the link now that I will be able to read it.

Bucho

There is a translate button? Haven´t found it... I was just trying to give you a few visual impressions. I´ve learned enough swedish to understand a good deal of fishing-related danish as long as it is written and not spoken. :) The Danes came up with the whole Idea of saltwater spin fishing for baltic seatrout back in the fifties, always a great source of inspiration. Their wood & lead sandeel Plugs are quite unique yet easy to make with resin.

Anyhow, I did a little more testing today and fully enjoyed it: one nice 20" cod and two seatrout, one of them however got lost on the 4rth jump. Im particularly happy about the other one, since it took the jig when I threw it into the deepest pit in range (18`) and jigged it in butterfly-style. This means it catches trout both vertically and horizontally and allows me to work the entire water column, wading, kayaking or casting from a jetty. Which is nice. :D The old school Danish stuff which most people here relate to inshore fishing is designed for shallow beaches with no more than 10`of water. These casting spoons really fill a gap. :icon14:

20286305wl.jpg

20286306op.jpg

goodtimesfishing

Bucho- Not sure if it is something on all computers or how it works, but if you go to that link you posted, look in the upper right hand corner and see if there is a rectangle that says "translate". I clicked on that and after a second or two....it was translated into English.

Bucho

Did the other cavities today. I`m really not good with the dremel so I just made a notch into the bump that holds the eye, just enough to center the pin in it. Laid the pin into it, checked if it was in place, closed the mold and hit it whith a lumb of lead as I have learned it here. The result worked fine. I could have left it as it is and used it for both either eye- or inline pin pouring, but that would have left me with some flash every time. Wanna go commercial with this so I filled it with jb weld. Hope that will come out clean. Since I needed inlays for the filling, I poured a couple with hard lead and powder painted them. Its easy if you chose pin length accordingly and bend a hook in it so you can handle it and hang it up for curing. I like the look of tin better but want to try the whole 1oz.

20302698sr.jpg

20302699qn.jpg

Bucho

Thats indeed an issue with these kind of spoons. The line won´t last forever. I use a sturdy 15# fc leader for the larger ones and re-tie after a few hours. The damage concentrates on the last 1-2" so just retieing the knot will do. Same is recommended for buzz bombs btw. It is a little more work and also keeps me from using my favorite dropper fly.

The rotating spin-stop action however is best whith a light single hook, which again asks for a run-through design to make it harder for the fish to shake it. I like the matzuo open eye siwash for that.

Bucho

I found the perfect spring ring for the end knot: Mustad 9943 size 2 and 1. An oval spring ring with a nice plain side to knot into and an overlapping side to accept the hook and allow it to move freely. Problem is, I can´t find a reliable source to buy it in bulk. Would like to buy it from the U.S. and stay independend from the european or at least german chain of distribution. Don´t ask...

anybody got an idea?

Bucho

Truth to be told, the inline design isn´t really necessary. I dremeld a little space into the mold to accept a swivel and allow for the classic diamond jig setup. The result works just fine.

20510464ln.jpg

The spin-stop- rotation es even better than the inliner, probably due to less friction. Tank testing showed that the hook doesn´t spin with the lure, which means that the swivel helps with the spinning. Got 6 cod and a small seatrout within only 100 minutes of fishing today, without a single missed hit or lost fish. :icon14:

20545726ho.jpg[/quote]

Bucho

Tested the 1oz lead body toady surfcasting in strong onshore wind (5-6bft, gusts 9). Never seen a seatrout lure cast even remotely well under such conditions - and catch! :icon14:

20660529xj.jpg

24", 2,13 Kg - perfect cold smoking material!

20662023tf.jpg

Back