Future of Jig Swaps

Kdog

Not sure why, but last several swaps have had poor participation. Sure its fun to tie for a swap and always exciting to receive the new jigs. Seems like swaps are dying on every site. Is it burnout or are people no longer interested. I know a lot of beginners are unwilling or afraid to try, but thats how we all started so please add your 2 cents to this discussion.

rich mc

i participate in 4-5 fly swaps each year. fly swaps on fly tying forum are doing well.i enjoy seeing different styles of flies but dont do any trout swaps. problem i run into is most of the flies or jigs i get i wont fish ,just hope to LEARN something for them.this leads to a whole bunch of flies that i just give away to kids at some outdoor shows. i also do more swaps in winter since my work slows and i have more time. rich mc

QPassage

I enjoy the swaps and try to partake in all that I can.  I seem to have more time in the Wintertime to do them, that may change a little this year with a couple shows I'm doing..  But even so tying up a doz or 2 jigs for a swap isn't that much time.  I encourage the new tiers to jump in on as many swaps as they can.  It's a great way to learn and get some awesome fish catching jigs.  We all got to start somewhere just as I did.

JUNGLEJIM1

I have participated in swaps since January 2009 and now have a whole drawer full of jigs from them. Probably only tried 3-4 of other tiers jigs in that time. Main reason is they are single jigs and don't want to lose it. When I first started tying I made a lot of singles and would go fishing and a certain color would be hot and then of course I would lose it and the hot fishing would die because I didn't have another one. Since then I tie at least 3-4 of each color of what I know works around here. Perhaps a swap with two exact jigs for each participant would be worth trying so you can lose one that is working and then have one left over to perhaps copy. Maybe since I donate jigs to different organizations I will donate the swap jigs I have and can start fresh or devote one box to strictly swap jigs and carry them to try. I do have a lot of confidence in my ties.

hookup

I just donated a big bag of jigs from the swaps to the Hero's on the Water - you should have seen the smiles and laughter on some of the face of the veterans that has served so that we can be free

JUNGLEJIM1

I'd be willing to join a swap and have my set donated to Hero's on the Water or similar organizations. hookup, send me an address and I'll donate some jigs to them.

duffy

Lack of time for tying seems to be my downfall. I started this hobby to learn a creative art and to relax while keeping the mind working but it seems that other priorities get in the way and the past few years have been the worst. Most stuff is things that really need attention like as an example a leaky pipe in the cistern this last week that also threw a wrench into going fishing. I also need to make a dedicated tying area instead of having to dig everything out every time I want to tie up a couple which wastes valuable time. Not making excuses here as I know all of you have gone through the same situation where it seems that anything that can go wrong or break, will. Maybe this winter I can get it in gear and practice some more to speed up my tying skills also. Now I'm off to fix a toilet seat and tune up the furnace before it gets really cold.

hookup

I don't watch much TV and find time to pour. Then at night when I'm trying to relax, prepping, painting, and tying jigs seems to help better than getting all keyed up watching the news.

QPassage

JUNGLEJIM1 said:
I watch tv, just try to avoid the news.

The NEWS i avoid as much as posusible.  I also have a movie/tv shows no watch list.  It's actually an excel doc and its quit long.

Back