Fly Swap #2

AtticaFish

Administrator
Staff member
Mine went out today! Sorry it took so long... Just remember, your only 'rule' was to have a soft hackle in there somewhere! :D Did 2 versions - one with lead eyes and one with bead chain - there are 5 of each and you can keep the extra sets, i don't need any back. Some new colors of BF Emulator in there too, it makes killer clousers!!!

The Fly: The wolfman's head looks pretty sloppy ( like he needs a hair cut :p ) but it is a successful fly. Took it out in the river yesterday @ lunch for a test drive..... no smallmouth takers but noticed carp feeding in a bunch of holes. I managed to get a BIG one on the line too!!! But the fight only lasted about 5 seconds. Set the hook - fish ran my line out through the rod - rod bent over - drag started rolling - line popped out of the water right back at me. :( Really ticked me off since the 2lb. tippet didn't break, the loop knot used in the tippet line to attach to the fly line failed on me. Going to have to look into learning a new knot, has happened to me twice now on big fish. :dodgy:

Ok, one more thing, blah, blah, blah, my fingers (and probably your eyes) are getting sore. :rolleyes: Zac, do you get the Fly Fishing & Tying Journal? Thats the only one that i have available to me... if you have some back issues that you have read through of the Fly Tyer magazine, maybe we could swap some mags as well. Let me know if you are interested.

quivira kid

Well Russ, I'm anxious to see your work! I left it open on purpose, so the creative wheels could turn.
I'd enjoy swapping magazines, BUT I use all my back issues ALL the time! If they were just sitting around, I'd swap ya in a heartbeat. But it's my "library"! I don't know how many times I've gone back and found a new pattern for a different application, or a technique I need to learn explained.

(By the way, the new issue also has a couple rope dub techniques explained. Looks like something I may have to try and see if I like it.)

quivira kid

Received flies from AtticaFish. Nice looking flies, Russ. I tie something similar in a basic hares ear color with black chain eyes and it MURDERS bluegills! I'm sure these will do the same...

AtticaFish

Administrator
Staff member
Wow - you mean to say my flies made it there 1st???? That would be a change of pace, but perhaps i was the only one with your addy - i had a running start. Got nervous when i saw you edited your post saying flies in by the end of the month and wasn't sure if you were talking August or Sept.

Do you know of any 'named' patterns that resemble the thing i tied? A few patterns have chenille around the eyes, but couldn't find any quite the same. HAD to use dub loop to get that stuff to stay put around the eyes.

Thats cool about the mags... I have made scanned PDF copies of alot of the articles of interest to me out of my stack of various fishing magazines. Plan to put the old mags up for trade/barter once they are organized. Probably have a few that may be of interest to you. ;)

quivira kid

Russ had a start due to already having my address! No worries on time constraints here. I am going to whip up my swap flies this weekend. Hopefully a bigger streamer-type fly and a "regular" trout/bluegill soft hackle.

Russ, I don't know of anything exactly like that that's "named" with those materials. I may do my spin on it for the swap instead of the "big meaty streamer" I was thinking... As an extra.

quivira kid

No big deal! I am in Wyoming right now anyhow. We stopped at Sportsman's Warehouse in Denver, and I found some jelly tube material as well as Larva Lace body material which is similar, but it's opaque and hollow. Can't wait to get home and tie up some sweet-looking bluegill flies I've got in mind!

quivira kid

Got slammed at work this week! They will get sorted, and I will throw in a couple extras for y'all for the wait. They'll go out either saturday or monday.

Zac

quivira kid

The minions have been assembled and will be headed toward y'all tomorrow. I threw a couple extras in my bag... If ya need the recipes, let me know. One of 'em is a bonafide gill catcher, the other should work for trout.

I was very happy with the contributions of the swap! There's a lot of talent on this site.

AtticaFish

Administrator
Staff member
Mine did show up yesterday-Thursday. Was gonna post and then forgot :blush: been on a paint kick here recently. Reminds me i have another message to send as well.

All do look very nice and thanks for hosting Zac. Got to say that the wire weave is pretty impressive at that size SH! :cool:

StumpHunter

Thanks AtticaFish, took some time but I do enjoy working with different materials.
I'll be waiting by my mailbox the next few days!!!! Can't wait to see em.

Back