Fly Swap #2

quivira kid

Well folks, it doesn't seem like there's much going on around here! How 'bout a fly swap? I'll happily host again. All I'm doing is waiting for this heat to break!

**SIGNUP IS NOW OVER**
Flies to me by the end of the month

Theme is: SOFT HACKLE!

1. quivira kid
2. StumpHunter
3. AtticaFish
4. Doc Crappie

AtticaFish

Administrator
Staff member
Oh, what the heck, i'll do another. Just be warned that they may be tied on slightly modified aberdeen hooks. :blush: I've been depleting my stock of true fly hooks.... it seems i have taken up fishing for squirels on some days. The trees above water like my hooks just as much as the rocks below water when i have fly rod in hand.

As far as a theme, IMO we should leave it open since we are somewhat limited on fly guys? Totaly up to you though. ;) I will TRY to tie just about anything ya tell me to....

i DO know jjsjigs is a fly guy - i will sweeten the deal to entice him into the swap and say i will tie a PROVEN smallmouth fly if the limitations allow.

quivira kid

I was thinking about a theme today, and here's what I've come up with: soft hackle. Your pattern has to have a soft hackle of some sort. A friend of mine sat down and was tying a marabou and duck soft hackle on a size 2 or so hook last night, as I was working on some dainty little #16 traditional partridge and oranges. I think it's a very broad theme, open to many different things!

SaltyBuckster

I tried tying one of them little things awhile back and lost 3 hooks in the carpet before I got one in the vise,lol.I won't mention what it looked like.

quivira kid

Here is a picture of one I tied recently where you can clearly see all of the components...

285080_620465206363_77201780_33427351_7248485_n.jpg

Size 12 standard length hook
Black thread body with silver wire rib
UV pink Ice Dub thorax
Partridge soft hackle

"Soft hackle" can be almost anything. Depending on size, it could be hen chicken, starling, partridge, pheasant, quail, duck flank, regular marabou, any number of synthetics.... I would start out with a loose pack of partridge feathers or a hen back for most things between a size 6 and 14.
Then again, my buddy was sitting there tying size 2 soft hackle streamers with marabou, flash, and duck flank here last week as I was tying "trout size" stuff.

As long as it has a feather wrapped around it somewhere, you'll be good to go!

quivira kid

Well, it looks like there will only be 4 of us playing this time around. Tie your flies here soon and get 'em to me when you can... No "official" deadline. How's that sound?

I'll tie two patterns since there's not many folks. Something big and something small! I'm thinking a #4 softhackle streamer and a #16 trout size treat.

CrappieHappy

may try to jump in if i can make it to barlows before they close today....

***Disregard, the local shop was out of any kind of dubbing, and partridge.... :( *** I will try to catch the next one.

StumpHunter

Need an address to send them to. You wouldn't think it would take this long to tie 4 flies LOL! It the total 4 that we need to send.

quivira kid

Good deal! I was worried y'all had forgotten about this! Hahaha

I know Russ is good for it.

I'll send my mailing address in a PM soon!
Zac

AtticaFish

Administrator
Staff member
I had been searching through a bunch of sites looking for just an idea to work from. Was looking for something in particular - had a vision in my head. :rolleyes: Well, after searcing for awhile and not finding anything, i started tying test flies. It took 4 tries to get the look - but got one today that i like! :cool: Got that dub loop down now too. Should be able to finish them tomorrow at lunch.

Really couldn't find anything like it (even though i am sure there is something out there) so i will name it.....
The Wolfman's Brother
It's a little phunky! :D

quivira kid

Cool! I can't wait to see it.

The brand new issue of Fly Tyer magazine has a "soft hackle basics" article in it!!! I just saw this tonight. If you can get your hands on it, it looks like a good issue. Got a bass popper on the front!

Back