Float Of Choice

eyecrosser

I use a couple different types of floats for crappie. For shallow water jig casting i'm with Pup on the weighted clip-ons from Comal Tackle Co.. For deeper water or suspended fish I always opt for a slip float. Also use a slip float for searching and some deep vertical presentations for 'eyes. Minnow fishing which I still occasionally do with my son calls for a slip float. Whatever float I choose with the lure or bait of choice calls for a weight system to provide the lowest possible profile. Which brings to point a new question; when adding multiple shot for extra weight do you spread sinkers? Keep them together? How far from jig or hook do you pin them? In brush I go about 4 inches with bait. No extra shot with the jigs. In more open water I go about 8-10 inches above hook. When casting no extra lead goes on my line. What do you all do????

Shoemoo

Minnows are not legal here, so I rarely use anything but jigs for crappie. I generally don't use additional weight when using jigs unless I'm float fishing for steelhead. Sometimes when the flows are heavy you need a big float and large weight to get the jig down into the zone. In that case, I generally use a heavy egg sinker above a swivel tied about 2' up the line.

Back