Float Of Choice

Well Been messing with a lot of tiny stuff but still looking for the perfect float. So far this has worked the best for me....

What Float or Floats Do You Prefer and Why....

Will post a few others that I have tried later just taking a break from the card game for a little bit.... :D

DSC_0805_zpsd9c13ad0.jpg

Fatman

I like Betts weighted floats not only for live bait but for jigs also, even with a light jig they cast really nice and will telegraph a fish taking. The 1/2 inch oval, pear and round. I bought a bunch from Cabela's then won an auction on ebay for 105 packs of them so I'm set for them.

100_1604.jpg

100_1602.jpg

I also use slip bobbers and this past summer bought some Master Class floats that are really nice!!!
100_1608.jpg

I'm not above trying others if they work the way I want them to!! This is going to be an interesting thread.

quivira kid

Cheap 7/8" pear bobbers for springtime, Thill slip bobbers, and I havr been messing with Thill Shy Bite and "Fly n Ice" bobbers for the small stuff. The small size "fly n ice"bobbers seem to be doing best for the 1/64-oz stuff. I also want to try my Thingamabobber fly fishing strike indicators rigged slip style for the small stuff.

CrappieHappy said:
Frank, that one you posted is awesome, lost the only one i had awhile back...

I have a pretty good supply probably be a long time before i run out of these I have another style that I like as well

quivira kid said:
Cheap 7/8" pear bobbers for springtime, Thill slip bobbers, and I havr been messing with Thill Shy Bite and "Fly n Ice" bobbers for the small stuff. The small size "fly n ice"bobbers seem to be doing best for the 1/64-oz stuff. I also want to try my Thingamabobber fly fishing strike indicators rigged slip style for the small stuff.
How you rig the Thingamabobber slip style I have a bunch of the small ones like using them float and fly style

StumpHunter

I like using the small floats. Found some I use for fly fishing and I rig them as slip floats running the tippet through the float and peg em. I have some thingabobs but I don't like them with having to wrap the line over and around em.

quivira kid

flounder pounder said:
How you rig the Thingamabobber slip style I have a bunch of the small ones like using them float and fly style

I haven't tried it just yet, so I can't tell ya. It is something I plan to try here sometime soon.

JUNGLEJIM1

I like the two larger sizes of the Thill fly and ice floats. Larger size will handle a 1/16 and medium is great with the 1/32.

Shoemoo

I like the Thill waggler style in the first pic if I'm fishing close and the water is relatively calm. Great for detecting lift bites. I prefer the ones with the hook and rubber tubing over the old style ones with the hole in the bottom of the post. Changing sizes was a pain in the butt since it required a retie.

For making longer casts or rougher water, I like the pear floats with a long post on the top. They're just easier for me to see.

For night fishing, I prefer the Thill pear floats with the post that's just a little nub. They're great for mounting a glow stick with clear plastic tubing. A 4.5mm diameter glow stick goes perfect on top and you can see it from all sides. Best of all, they're cheap compared to the other lighted floats out there. The glow sticks cost less than a quarter if you buy them in bulk on eBay. The glow sticks come with the connector and everything.

2012-02-03194955-1.jpg

2012-02-03195310-1.jpg

ragged edge

I have found thru the years that when crappie or other pan fish are not aggressive to use a 10 or 12" turkey quill depending on the weight you use. It takes only a small amount of pull to take the quill under or very little resistance when the fish is moving to the side...........

smalljaw

When I float jigs for smallies I like using the cheap foam flaots that you use for trout magnets, it will hold a 1/16oz jig barely which leaves a low profile on the water so it isn't affected by wind which is a big problem for early spring/late winter on the river when you need the jig to float to a specific spot.

Pop

I had good success last year with the Mr. Crappie floats. They have BB's inside and I think the rattle must help. Pop

Radtexan

Pop said:
I had good success last year with the Mr. Crappie floats. They have BB's inside and I think the rattle must help. Pop

Me too Pup...Love the easy to see color...

Shallow water,2-4 ' I use the clip on....Slip floating the stick type is my preferred..
97075b.jpg

Pup

Made by the Comal Tackle Company of Buda, TX.

00000000867.jpg

Details:
  • Snap-On Float
  • Cigar-shaped
  • Weighted
  • Bright fl. red/reddish orange color is seen easily
  • Travels a good distance with just a lob using correct tackle
  • Great for float-n-fly fishing rivers in winter
  • Inexpensive

deathb4disco

I also use the Thill wagglers shown in the OP (or some other type of waggler.) On a related note, there has been a "world float fishing championship" every year since about 1957. For rod and reel fishing on stillwaters, the waggler is the only float used at the world champs.

Fireshadow

Learntocatchcatfish.com has a ebook that teaches how to make a ultra sensitive bobber for fishing channel cat. I wonder if it would be any good for jigs too.

Back