Flashy Jigs For White Bass

Pup

This jig style is one of the simplest that I can tie.  The jigs pictured below have an appearance similar to the spider jigs used for black bass fishing.  Their skirt material is plastic, rather than silicone, and very shiny.  These should be fished rather quickly with rapid twitches near the water's surface for schooling white bass.

S5300003_zpsjajfjpqt.jpg

Materials:
  • Round head jigs in 1/16 and 1/8-ounce sizes with #4 sickle and #2 Aberdeen hooks, respectively
  • Rosey's Powder Paint - silver sand metallic
  • Rosey's Powder Paint Topcoat (Clear Coat High Gloss 100%) and red glitter mixture
  • UTC Ultra Thread (210 denier) - red
  • Icicles (18 inch) trimmed to size - silver

Pup

Fin and Fur said:
Use on whipers too?

I believe you could, though I might opt for using larger jigs if seeking wipers weighing more than about 3 pounds.

Thank you both for your comments. :)

hookup

I got chrome & red icicles for tying - looks like a good project

AtticaFish

Administrator
Staff member
Those are good and flashy and love the simplicity. Could see just about any baitfish predator showing interest in those. :cool: :jig:

Pup

Thank you for your comments everyone. :)

Hawnjigs said:
Flashy indeed!  I wonder if there is a limit on flash beyond which the fish get wary?

Have no idea.  In my experience, white bass are receptive to flashy lures that are moved along erratically.

I think I've found a pretty good use for decorative Christmas Tree tinsel.  Hope to fish those particular jigs soon along with a box full of similar ties.

Hawnjigs

KISS
In my experience also white bass are receptive to flash...and lack of. ie: they ain't particular so may as well tie simple and economical - like yours.

Looks like you'll need a good back wind to get any casting distance.

Pup

Hawnjigs said:
Looks like you'll need a good back wind to get any casting distance.

Hope I don't encounter any stiff headwinds while out field testing them.  Clearer water might help too when fishing them. :)

Back