White Bass Jigs From A Throw Rug

Pup

These are 1/8-ounce ball heads tied with some of the nicest craft fur I've ever used.  Found it at, of all places, a local Burlington Store among the throw rugs.

VAGhzS1.jpg

The 24 x 36-inch rug (864 square inches) can be cut into 8 swatches measuring 9 x 12-inches (108 square inches).  This was a $10.99 rug, so the cost per swatch is super cheap at about $1.37.  These were tied with white bass in mind.  However, I've caught some nice crappie on jigs with this color combination (red and white) too.

Do wish that there'd been a better variety of colors.  This fur is a pearlescent white color.  A silver was available and it looked awesome too.

Should mention that I've begun tying in the "clip" portion cut away from jig spinners to make tailspinners on some of these.  I got that idea from seeing AtticaFish's recent ties with jig spinner arms, so my thanks go out to him.

Hawnjigs

KISS
Indeed, that looks like ultimate fine fibered tie "hair".

With the spinner blade attached, those must be some pretty good sized whities ?

JUNGLEJIM1

Very, very nice jigs. I know there is a store around here somewhere and will have to check out some rugs. Thinking about dyeing some if I can find me a rug.

LedHed

Sponsor
Rugs?????
Do you think it will hold a dye? have you looked at it under a black light?

Awesome work - as always Pup

I still have some glow in the dark wigs have to do something with........

Pup

Thank you all for your comments.  :)

The rug is trademarked by and sold under the name bebe and is distributed by BB Brand Holdings LLC.  It's called a 'Faux Fur Accent Rug'.

Hawn, the jig to the far right is the longest.  From midpoints of the back edge of its blade to front of its ball head, it measures just under 3.5 inches long.  I'd imagine I'd catch whites with it in a variety of sizes, but would ideally be targeting those 12 inches long and larger.  Not uncommon for Tennessee impoundments, which is where I'd most likely be fishing them.

Just to add to what LedHed mentions.  I've read that you have to use special dyes made for synthetic fur.  Standard dyes don't work.  I haven't looked at the material beneath a black light either.

Oh, Faux You Didn’t: How to Dye Almost Any Synthetic Material (Like a $13 Faux Sheepskin)

AtticaFish

Administrator
Staff member
Those are nice looking jigs! Hard to beat the white/red combo when fish (especially white bass) school up on minnows. I finally did catch a walleye last fall with one of the spinner arm under spins i made. I would bet those will get you lots of attention.

Sounds like a heck of a deal on the synth fur also. I actually got a faux fur rug from a family member that knew i had eyeballed it at the store. It has a striped pattern to the hair but unfortunately does not have all long fibers. I still do use it, just end up with a lot of waste when i do.

Back