More With Kip Tails

Pup

Tied these hair-bodied jigs for float-n-fly fishing.  The hair is stiff and won't move around as much as craft fur does in water.  These might make for interesting minnow imitations to try when the water is extremely cold, or anytime for that matter.  I've fished small kip-tailed jigs before, but they've always been tipped with a tiny soft plastic trailer.

[img=320x168]https://3.bp.blogspot.com/-Jy9jxYvNpe8/WHddAhm1FLI/AAAAAAAABD4/2GFPw6t7XXg8ykTwtbkW225MpEJWVtP-wCLcB/s320/S5300005.JPG[/img]

Click on photo to enlarge.

Materials:
  • Kip (calf) tails - natural black and bleached white
  • 1/16-oz. Arkie Darter-Head Jigs - unpainted
  • Rosey's Powder Coating - silver sand metallic
  • Tulip 'Slick' Fabric Paint - black, fluorescent pink, and glow
  • Hedron Flashabou - pink glow
  • UTC Ultra Thread (70 denier) - gray brown

Save

Save
[font="Helvetica Neue",Helvetica,sans-serif]Save[/font]

Flyjigger

Wish I could get some of my jigs and flies wet. Being in Ontario I pretty well have to wait until April. Steelhead would be an option but I never seem to get the timing right. Nice jigs Pup!.

God Bless,
Don

duffy

Nice Looking jigs! Two things I noticed when first tried kip was how slippery it is and how it makes your fingers soft while working with it. Must have alot of lanolin in it. I want to try and make a flared collar with it but haven't gotten that far yet.

midnight

Very nice looking jigs. Do you have a secret to share on how well your tulip paint eyes turn out? Man they look good!

Pup

Thank you Midnight.  :)

My 'secret' concerning the eyes is that I create many of them and then pick ones to use that look the best to me.

Pup

Jig Man said:
Nice ones Pup... Was in your area in December and seemed awful warm, didn't even need a coat!

Thanks JM.  The weather's been pretty warm up until a week ago when we experienced single digits overnight and one daytime high of about 14 degrees F.  Next week we may have a couple of 50-60 degree days.  I'd better go fishing soon.  :)

Speaking of areas, I have a brother who recently moved to TX.  He works out at Goodfellow AFB in San Angelo.  Might be a good reason for me to make a trip to visit TX in the future.   :icon14:   :icon14:

Back