first pour

goodtimesfishing

View attachment 5View attachment 6So I did my first pour and really like the way that the bottom pour pot works. I did not smoke my mold because I had recently read that it was not needed, so I thought I would give it a try without and the jigs came right out with no problem at all. I will get some painted and tyed and post more pics. Took no time to pour 100 jigs! Now I need more hooks!!

Attachments

• first pour1.jpg
    first pour1.jpg
    142.8 KB · Views: 97
  • first pour2.jpg
    first pour2.jpg
    136 KB · Views: 96

smalljaw

Those are really good and you now have an understanding why everyone who pours buys their hooks in bulk. I have about 2 dozen molds and I have been pouring jigs for around 15 years and I never had to smoke a mold, maybe the old hilts molds might have required it but I haven't encountered it with do-it molds.

Fatman

Nice looking jigs!!!!!! I also have never smoked my molds. Only thing I'd do before painting is smooth where you took the sprue off.

Hawnjigs

KISS
OK, guessed wrong, you got the 8M. Should have figured that would be more West Coast appropriate. I'm looking for an 8S to pour 1/8s with #4s. 2x Mustads are my favorite hook too.

Those balls look smooth & shiny - what kind of lead are you using?

goodtimesfishing

Hawnjigs said:
OK, guessed wrong, you got the 8M. Should have figured that would be more West Coast appropriate. I'm looking for an 8S to pour 1/8s with #4s. 2x Mustads are my favorite hook too.

Those balls look smooth & shiny - what kind of lead are you using?

My mold calls for a #2 for 1/8 but I bet a #4 would fit. I put #1 inplace of the #2s and had no problem. I don't have any #4s or I would tell you for sure. But yes the other mold (8s) does call for #4 in the 1/8 size.
I just got my mold and pot and a freind I have been suppying jigs to, offered me 3 deep sea fishing weights that weighed 2.5 pounds each. 2 of the 3 where still in a package never used. They are the danielson brand from china. Worth more as fishing weights, but neither of us needed them so I melted them down. Seems to be good lead, did get some crap off the top after adding some wax. I have ordered these exact jigs already poured several times and the ones I have ordered did not seem as smooth as mine. very happy with my first pour!

Fatman

Looked at the hooks for those on Capt Hooks and for 4's per 100 were $14 and change. Got a guy at work who found out I pour and wondered if I had the mold.

AtticaFish

Administrator
Staff member
Those do look like nice and shiny clean pours. The 32833 UP hooks are an excellent quality hook!

Hawnjigs

KISS
GTF, you lucked out on what appears to be near pure lead used for the sinkers. I once mail ordered 100# at $1 per lb + shipping which ballast weight scrap was zinc contaminated.

Fatman, the current Capt. Hooks price for #4 32833 is $16.70 as an example. Ebay is cheaper.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/100-4-MUSTA...159?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item2578d9e277
Proceed with caution becuz your standard Mustads & ECs will never look the same.

goodtimesfishing

Fatman said:
Looked at the hooks for those on Capt Hooks and for 4's per 100 were $14 and change. Got a guy at work who found out I pour and wondered if I had the mold.

I have looked all over to find the cheapest 32833's best place I have found is Jagged Tooth Tackle and what really makes them the cheapest is the free shipping. Even with free shipping they don't seem to jack up there price.
4's are $13.79
2's $15.19
1's $16.19
1/0's $18.59
These prices are for packs of 100 and they come in the mustad packageing. Another low price place was a guy on ebay(have bought prepoured jigs from)but I am very suspicious of his low cost with no packaging and the ones I have left of his seem to have WAY more flex to the hook...don't feel tempered. I think the ebay price was within a few cents of jagged tooth, but would much rather have a sealed package so I know what I am getting. My understanding is that eagle claw or maybe it is someone else has a hook that is like a copy cat to the 32833...does anyone outthere know anything about this????

goodtimesfishing

just took a look and the ebay #4 with s/h would be $14.75 and jagged tooth is only $13.79 with free shipping and come in a sealed mustad package. I need to order some #2 #1 and some 1/0. Def not a cheap hook but worth it. Not over the top like owners either, love owners hooks but the price makes them not cost effective.

goodtimesfishing

Fatman said:
Thanks for the extra hook links!!!!!! Is anyone pouring them with the EC O'shaunessy hooks???

plan on getting that mold too. Need the 3/8 and 1/2 for twitchen jigs for coho and also for a specific river that gets lots of great big kings. Not sure if the 32833 fit it (might have a little flash) I think the ec 630's and 635's are a little bit bigger diameter but not sure till I get the mold and try it. Anybody know already???

AtticaFish

Administrator
Staff member
I DO NOT POUR JIGS, but do have a few styles of O'Shaughn hooks i use in fly/jig tying. I have the EC O'Shaughn hooks in the 410 series. The 410's have the 60 degree leg bend and the 630's have a 90 degree leg bend. #4 size (#410) i like better than the #2 & #1 sizes..... not positive if the 630 would have the same specs. All have excellent strength, but the #4's had a much better consistency with the hook point (SHARP) and shank shape than the other sizes. Some of the larger sizes have a squared shape rather than round. If you are wanting 90 degree hooks, i would go with the Mustad UP's for better overall quality, but there is no other comparable hook to the EC 410 #4 hook.

Hawnjigs

KISS
I agree the 32833 is better quality than 630-35 ECs or Mustad comps. This after going thru several tens of thousands 635s and at least ten thou interchange Mustads. Pretty much every EC batch was different - wire strength, point quality, even shape could differ. Around 5 years ago, EC quality had slipped enuf for me to bail from them entirely, so not sure how current mfg. quality is. Like AtticaFish's #4 410s a GOOD batch is an entirely satisfactory heavy wire hook, if not as blingy as the chem sharp BN variety. I still tap my vintage 413 stockpile.

Shorty's is now stocking small 60* VMC heavy wire 7161 BN, so Capt. Hooks should have them available also. Very different config from the 410-413, but they might interchange in Do-its(I don't have any of those molds).

GTF, I don't pour 3/8 & 1/2 no collar ball heads, so can't help with that.

Back