First attempts

Jungleboy

Thought I would add some pics of some of my jigs I have made .Brand new to this game,haven't a clue what I am doin but am having some fun and learning as I go. I would love to get some feed back good and bad on what you see here.
IMG_0863-Copy.jpg
[/URL][/img]
IMG_0871.jpg
[/URL][/img]
IMG_0863.jpg
[/URL][/img][/img]

hookup

They'll catch fish - third pix, bottom left jig that looks like a perch - walleye's will eat 'em up.

LedHed

Sponsor
Everyone has to start somewhere and you are off to a great start! The more you tye the easier it gets. Wait till you catch with a tye that you created...

smalljaw

I agree with everyone else, you are starting really well!!!! Those jigs will catch fish, remember, we make them pretty to appeal to other humans, the fish don't care!!!!! Keep practicing and as CrappieHappy has told you, plenty of vids on youtube to help you out but a great start indeed!!!

Jungleboy

Thanks guys .The red and whites and the pink and whites are using wool in an attempt to imitate the jigs discussed in the vertical jigging master thread. I am hoping the color combos will work an pike.with a nod to the old red Devil spoon. All the heads are 1/4 and powder coated . I really like the smooth action of the wool in the water ( my kitchen sink test tank):)
The Big feather jig has great action too but I think maybe too much tied on to the small hook may cause me to lose more fish than I hook .

papaperch

Looks like you are off on a good foot. In case you haven't did this. Get a small container of water and put it near your work bench.

Soak a jig in it and see what it looks like wet. This in essence is how the fish will see it. I have a little 10 gallon aquarium in my garage that I always test a new style tie in. Also handy to see how different knots and swivels affect the action of your creations.

QPassage

Looking good!
I think my biggest trouble when I started out was putting to much material on my jigs. Especially to long on the tail, it's a bad habit I have to this day for some reason. What happens, is the longer tail creates short hits on the jig meaning missing fish strikes "that's just my opinion however I have fishing buddies that disagree with me". I think I recall reading on this board somewhere a post made referring to when you grab the material before tying use about 1/2 what you grab and you will be set. Those are words I try to remind myself of when I tie.
Your jigs look great and as with all of us you'll only get better the more you tie.
Another cool tactic, I like to do is testing the jigs I tie for movement. I usually grab the Grandsons mini pole and tie on a jig. Fill the bathtub 1/2 full and start testing them. When they look like the fish you see at the lake you'll have a fantastic jig to catch fish with. I've even went so far as to add a little green/yellow/black food coloring to make the water more stained. Things I have figured out are like the green chartreuse tend to have a bronze brown look in the water. With that in mind the colors you see and tie will appear much differently in clear or stained waters.
Good Luck

Jungleboy

QPassage said:
Looking good!
I think my biggest trouble when I started out was putting to much material on my jigs. Especially to long on the tail, it's a bad habit I have to this day for some reason. What happens, is the longer tail creates short hits on the jig meaning missing fish strikes "that's just my opinion however I have fishing buddies that disagree with me". I think I recall reading on this board somewhere a post made referring to when you grab the material before tying use about 1/2 what you grab and you will be set. Those are words I try to remind myself of when I tie.
Your jigs look great and as with all of us you'll only get better the more you tie.
Another cool tactic, I like to do is testing the jigs I tie for movement. I usually grab the Grandsons mini pole and tie on a jig. Fill the bathtub 1/2 full and start testing them. When they look like the fish you see at the lake you'll have a fantastic jig to catch fish with. I've even went so far as to add a little green/yellow/black food coloring to make the water more stained. Things I have figured out are like the green chartreuse tend to have a bronze brown look in the water. With that in mind the colors you see and tie will appear much differently in clear or stained waters.
Good Luck

Good advice thank you I was thinking the same thing on the too long tails .

QPassage

Plus side is if they start short hitting it's a quick fix when fishing. ;) It's hard to add to them but easy enough to trim them.

Kdog

Looking good! Practice makes perfect or so they say! I've yet meet the creator of the perfect jig... My definition of perfect, toss it in the water and pull out a fish within 60 seconds every time!

Seriously, you are off to a good start. Analyse your ties and if they look like you planned, great. If not start asking specific questions. BTW remember the hook eye is the top of the jig. My Biggest problem starting out and still is to some degree is keeping my feathers, fur etc oriented properly on the hook. Materials tend to roll around the hook which is mostly a matter of technique or getting impatient.

Jighead76

Man, I wish my first ones were as nice as yours. They look great.
I second checking them for action, Expecally starting out. It gave me a good idea of how things looked in the water. I stole my wife's flower vase and jig in it on the table. The wife thought I was crazy the first time she saw me.

Back