eagle claw 570 BP jig hooks

Fatman

Ron - after reading your post again about the last one being and looking sharper I went and pulled out some old stock EC's they sure do look better than the new bn's.

With as many hooks as you use in your opinion what would be the best overall hook out there without counting sickles!!??

Ron Don

Future Sponsor
If youre looking for a good general purpose hook targeting different kinds of, To me VMC would still be high on the list. This is for small hooks say #2 and smaller. VMC are still pretty sharp, have good strength, and well priced below mustads.

That being said alot of the ppl I deal with are pretty much like the CHEAPER the better.

Fatman

Thanks for the info!! It's not like I REALLY NEED any more jig hooks as I have alot of old stock Mustads and EC's. I registered for the Capt Hooks monthly newsletter and VMC's are usually on it.

redear

recieved my 500 eagle claw 570 BP's today and took a gander at a few before I went out the door, need to lay them out on a flat surface and look for inconsistency's between hooks, but looked at about 10 of them and they were the same which doesn't really mean anything. I do like the looks of them, they are a handsome hook with the black finish that is not as shiney as alot of black nickel hooks, but it's a nice finish in my opinion. the barb is a little larger than the micro barbs I have been using on some black nickel VMC's, which will be good for tipping with a minnow, and helps with keeping from flinging them off when casting. the point is plenty long, and is sharp enough as is to catch fish, but I have a plan to get them sharper and have done the same thing with other hooks of this point design, just a couple strokes on the back of the point, going toward the point with a smooth stone, keeping almost paralell with the point will make the hooks point more slender, and thus sharper. the eye's on alot of these hooks tend to not be all the way closed, but are so close you may not be able to slide a peice of paper into the gap, for the price I am satisfied, but after messing with them a little I am sure there will be more opinions to come.

redear

Doug, I got size 4. did sharpen one up last nite and it was considerably sharper after wards, I could do a much better job with the hook in a fly vice, but I was just holding the hook in my hand and couldn't hold it real good, and still got it sticky sharp, the trick is to bend the hooks point up a little just like I do when I fish with them, this keeps your sharpening stone from hitting the eye of the hook, and only going towards the hooks point with the stone seems to be the best way. my stone is almost totally smooth as far as grit goes, I like it that way.

Back