eagle claw 570 BP jig hooks

redear

Just wondering, has anyone here purchased these new jig hooks in size 4, I am thinking about getting some to try with my pinkie jigs. Am interested in how sharp they are and the quality of them, would really like to see a closeup pic of one also if anyone has a pic. these are the new black platinum jig hooks, and they are listed as Lazer, which to me means lazer sharp.

smalljaw

I have used the EC 2798 BP 60 degree flat eye jig hook, the EC L111BP 60 degree EWG flipping jig hook and the EC 570 BP jig hook but only in sizes 1 and 2 and I love them and I used to hate using eagle claw hooks. They are sharp, they haven't rusted and I'm in my second season of using them and everyone I've made jigs for has given me great feedback on them. They are super impressive for the price and I hate to say it but I am starting to like them more than my Mustad hooks as I keep getting Mustads that aren't as good as what I used to get, the ultra points aren't as strong as they once were. So don't fear the Eagle Claw BP hooks, like I said, I poured shaky head jigs, flipping jigs, and small hair jigs with them and I'm ordering more, a very good hook at a very good price!!

redear

thanks fatman and smalljaw!!! hey smalljaw on the 570 bp's do they have an old school barb or a micro barb like so many other black nickel hooks? I'm needing a little more than the micro barb to help keep the minnow from comming off the hook, I tip these jigs with a minnow alot. thanks!

smalljaw

redear said:
thanks fatman and smalljaw!!! hey smalljaw on the 570 bp's do they have an old school barb or a micro barb like so many other black nickel hooks? I'm needing a little more than the micro barb to help keep the minnow from comming off the hook, I tip these jigs with a minnow alot. thanks!

I never saw a hook with a micro barb so I'm not sure but to me the barb fits the size of the hook, thses little buggers are sticky sharp and like I said, I wasn't big on Eagle Claw hooks but the the new laser sharp black platinums are really good hooks.

Ron Don

Future Sponsor
I Tried a box of them in #2. I can't really tell that they are any sharper than the old EC's! I prefer the sharper matzuos.

AtticaFish

Administrator
Staff member
smalljaw said:
I never saw a hook with a micro barb so I'm not sure...

If you have ever worked with Sickle hooks - they have the micro barbs. Much smaller than standard hooks.

smalljaw

I find the matzuos sharp but if they can fix the 30% junk rate they have I would get them but even capt hooks will no longer take back the bad ones. The last batch I sent them all back, 300 bad out of 1000 that was the end. I would have stayed with the Mustad 32746 but these EC 507 BP hooks are nice and I do find them sharper than the original. Has anyone got smaller amounts of sickle hooks that were ok? I would like to make some jigs using that hook but I'm afraid I'll get 100 hooks and 30 or more won't fit in the mold, and like I said, capt. hooks told me it is so bad that not only aren't they taking the bad ones back they may soon stop selling them if they don't some kind of quality control.

SaltyBuckster

I used to get them in 250 count from Captain Hooks.Out of the 250 maybe 10 to 20 were short legged.Never detered me from getting more.I have yet to get a bad one out of the boxes of 1000 in size 1 and size 4 bronze yet.Maybe 150 of them used so far.

Fatman

The last box of a 1000 I had I kept all the bad ones, and even though I bought them at Capt. Hooks I sent them back to Matzuo. When I first tried them I only got 250 of each, they must have had someone sorting them out cause I didn't have any bad ones.

I've talked to Cadman a few times about the BP's but I haven't decided to get any yet. Kind of hard when you have 8000 old style Mustads and EC's already!!!

smalljaw

All the bad sickles I got were black chrome and red, I don't like the bronze hooks from any manufacturer. I was looking at getting 100 from Crazy Angler or Grandpa bobs when I get an order together but it still bothers me how they can have so many bad ones. I think out of the thousands of Mustads and Gammys and Owners and recently the Eagle Claw BP hooks, I got 1 bad hook from Mustad and it was an eye that wasn't closed. Matzuo I got 1000 and picked out close to 2oo bad ones with open eyes that broke when trying to close them to short legs and long legs and then I sent them back for a credit and got another 1000 in black chrome I got 304 bad, capt, hooks took them all back but told me no more, but maybe if I get smaller quantities from other sources it would be ok. As I said, it is a shame as they are pretty good hooks but no quality control is a big killer, I know a lot of guys that make bass jigs that refuse to use them as they have had the issues I experienced.

redear

someone on another site posted a pic of the 570 BP jighook, it's a very good photo of the hook in size 4 and it looks to be everything I need for this certain jig I make, it's got a long nasty point with a sizable barb that will be perfect for holding a minnow on the hook.

Ron Don

Future Sponsor
Ok so here goes my last comment about these hooks... If anyones listening that is!

Heres a line up of hooks.... Which hook looks to be the LEAST sharp?

hooks-1.jpg

Ron Don

Future Sponsor
Ding Ding Ding! #3 looks and feels the "dullest". The third hook is a #2 L570BP.

1st is a matzuo.
2nd is VMC
3rd EC L570BP
4th is an old EC that is much sharper

redear

thanks Ron Don!! the first two have cone shaped points with smaller barbs, and the 570 BP has the right dimensions as far as barb and length of point but the sharpness worries me, of course with that long point they could be touched up, but that could be a pain. still undecided on these. VMC makes the gold and bronze 9147's with the barb and point that looks like that last eagle claw hook, but for a hair jig that can last a long time, a bronze or gold hook would be the first thing to go, rust that is. thanks again Ron Don.

Back