Dumb Hunting Questions 1 & 2

Hawnjigs

KISS
UG, thank you for the professional recommendation of being aware of hammer cock safety. The prospective future hunter isn't a kid, altho some may consider I'm still one.

As a first time hunter, I fully intend not to go afield until fully confident of proper accurate shot placement, with adequate range time for practice. "a man's got to know his limitations" applies both to my skill and choice of firearm.

Unfortunately as mentioned, since all mfg of modestly priced single shot 20 gauge field guns ceased production as far as I know, they appear to have become in demand perhaps collectible, and I'd be lucky to find one with my preferred shorter barrell for under $200.

Hawnjigs

KISS
My local bud found me an H&R 20 gauge single shot Youth Model at a garage sale. Stroke of luck as these have been out of production since the factory closed in 2015. Now the hunt is on for ammo in a lead free state.

Hawnjigs

KISS
Since the only bismuth shot shells available are both Euro #5, meaning approx USA equivelent #6-#7, might have to load my own since I think USA #4 would be a better choice for turkey. But, raw shot is over $1 per oz. and quality looks sketchy.
https://www.rotometals.com/bismuth-shot-alloy-for-reloading-shells-1-bag-sample-made-in-usa/

Lead free jig head makers appear to come and go after experiencing unprofitability, only a few die hards who do it for love remain.

duffy

Go to Ballistic Products and check out the ITX 10 shot. It performs much better than bismuth as it's uniform in shape and much harder. It's also easy on the bbl incase it makes contact with it. Still not cheap but you can buy smaller packs and they also have kits for several gauges that give you primed hulls, wads, shot and instructions. If you haven't loaded before I'd suggest finding someone with loading experience.

duffy

Go to Ballistic Products and check out the ITX 10 shot. It performs much better than bismuth as it's uniform in shape and much harder. It's also easy on the bbl incase it makes contact with it. Still not cheap but you can buy smaller packs and they also have kits for several gauges that give you primed hulls, wads, shot and instructions. If you haven't loaded before I'd suggest finding someone with loading experience. I loaded up some for goose hunting and it patterns tight and hit's almost as hard as lead as it's just about as heavy. They make a ITX 13 that's heavier than lead but I don't really think you need to go that heavy.

Hawnjigs

KISS
For getting started, ordered a 10 box of Kent bismuth 2-3/4" #5 (Euro) for field and a 25 box each of Federal and Winchester #6 lead for target from Midway.  Tried to match shot size, load weight, and velocity as close as possible.  Steel shot not recommended in my modified choke H&R, so the ITX 10 sounds ideal for reloading.  I do know a serious trap shooter that reloads and I think my bud Jon also used to before he took up archery full time.

duffy

You can physically do it but it's not advisable. There are pressure differences between different types of shot so different powder burn rates and wads are needed for a specific load.

Back