Dumb Hunting Questions 1 & 2

Hawnjigs

KISS
Would it be possible to hunt turkeys with an air rifle?

And, if so, would it be possible to equip said rifle with a noise reduction suppressor?

Jig Man

Not sure about Nebraska, but it is illegal in Texas..

Firearms

Game animals and game birds may be hunted with any legal firearm, except:

white-tailed deer, mule deer, desert bighorn sheep, and pronghorn antelope may not be hunted with rimfire ammunition of any caliber.
shotguns are the only legal firearm that may be used to hunt Eastern turkey during the spring Eastern turkey season (see County Listing). Rifles and handguns may not be used to hunt Eastern turkey.
pellet guns and other air guns are not legal for the take of any game bird or game animal other than squirrel. To be lawful for the take of squirrel, an air rifle must be designed to be fired from the shoulder and use the force of a spring, air, or other non-ignited compressed gas to expel a projectile of at least .177 caliber (4.5mm) at a minimum muzzle velocity of 600 feet per second.
fully automatic firearms are not legal.
a shotgun is the only legal firearm for hunting migratory game birds (see Definitions - Legal Shotgun).
Silencers may be used to take any wildlife resource; however, all federal, state and local laws continue to apply.

Nongame Animals (Non-Protected) may be hunted with any lawful firearm, pellet gun, or other air gun.

duffy

And remember that an AIR powered rifle/pistol is NOT a firearm. Even though some of the morons in our state are trying to twist the definitions around to make them so.

Hawnjigs

KISS
Didn't check NE laws yet, was wondering if .22 pellet headshots could reliably drop a turkey at fairly close range?  Ruger and other mfg. are claiming 1,000 - 1,200 fps.

Thinking less likely to spook than conventional firearms.

What "hunting ethics" are an issue?

Jay Wirth

It is un-ethical to hunt an animal with a weapon that most likely would only wound (harm) and not kill. I have hunted all my life and raised two young men to respect the game we take; our joy is that we harvest an animal to provide food for ourselves and our family - not that we got to kill something. The air rifle is most likely not permitted in your state to hunt turkeys and is a poor choice (IMHO) as the right tool for the job.

Hawnjigs

KISS
Checked, NE does indeed allow game bird hunting only by shotgun and archery.

Luckily, most sane people intuitively respect all of God's creation.  But there are exceptions.

[video=youtube]

Kdog

Hawnjigs said:
Didn't check NE laws yet, was wondering if .22 pellet headshots could reliably drop a turkey at fairly close range?  Ruger and other mfg. are claiming 1,000 - 1,200 fps.

Thinking less likely to spook than conventional firearms.

What "hunting ethics" are an issue?

I shoot a lot of rats with a pellet rifle and quick kills are iffy. Head shots unless you drill  the eye are useless and bounce off.  The 1000 - 1200 fps are usually with the alloy pellets which are very lightweight. True hunting pellets weigh almost twice as much and are in the 700 - 850 fps range. Ive tried squirrels a few times and can kill, but its not a quick kill unless you get a direct heart shot. My squirrel shooting is ~15 - 20 yards and is done on nuisance squirrels but I would opt for aa .22 if I were really hunting them for the pot.

Turkey are a rather tough kill and I've hunted them with a rifle as well as a shotgun and bow. I had a light load in my 243 that was very accurate at 50 yards and it did a great job. I kinda thought it would disintegrate the head but it did not. Pass thru yes. Bow was a different story and shotgun did drop them but saw several guys loose birds due to blown patterns or poor shot placement.  An air gun IMO is not up to the task.

The other issue is getting close enough.  35 yards with a shot gun was tough and 20 yards with a bow was a real challenge. Turkey are true survivorists and have unbelievable eyesight and their tiny brain says run - away - now at any unexpected movement.

Good luck and happy hunting.

Hawnjigs

KISS
Can't remember ever firing a shotgun, so maybe y'all can help me select a decent 20 for turkey on the ground at max 25 yds.  Nothing fancy, but lightness would be an asset as I'm getting on in years.  I am aware that choices include side by side, over under, pump, & semi-auto, but this single shot seems a possibility?
http://cva.com/CVA-Store-View.php?id=924

Kdog

Personally, I would look at a 12 gauge longest barrel I could find. Weight is your friend and as a rule, felt recoil is reduced with heavier guns. I have a bolt action Marlin 55 goose gun that works great from a blind and has a very tight pattern out to 55 yards or so. It is a huge shot gun, 36" barrel and ~8 - 9# has a sling so getting in and out of the hunting spots is not much of an issue.

My all time favorite shotgun is the Ithaca Model 37 featherweight and I have 28, 20 16 and 12 gauge. mostly use the 20 gauge and the others are wall candy.. Well hiding in the gun safe since the 90's. Gun racks on the wall are way out of fashion and too much of a target for theives.

Keep your options open. Some good buys can be found at auction sites as well as pawn shops and gun shows. Do as much research as you can, try to shoot a couple.. many sporting clay and trap and skeet ranges have some guys that are always willing to share.

I have been looking for a Mossberg bolt action and found a few
http://www.armslist.com/posts/14164...un--bolt-action--mossberg-with-polychoke--115

some are deals some are not. Posted the link just togive you and idea of options

Kdog

Personally, I would look at a 12 gauge longest barrel I could find. Weight is your friend and as a rule, felt recoil is reduced with heavier guns. I have a bolt action Marlin 55 goose gun that works great from a blind and has a very tight pattern out to 55 yards or so. It is a huge shot gun, 36" barrel and ~8 - 9# has a sling so getting in and out of the hunting spots is not much of an issue.

My all time favorite shotgun is the Ithaca Model 37 featherweight and I have 28, 20 16 and 12 gauge. mostly use the 20 gauge and the others are wall candy.. Well hiding in the gun safe since the 90's. Gun racks on the wall are way out of fashion and too much of a target for theives.

Keep your options open. Some good buys can be found at auction sites as well as pawn shops and gun shows. Do as much research as you can, try to shoot a couple.. many sporting clay and trap and skeet ranges have some guys that are always willing to share.

I have been looking for a Mossberg bolt action and found a few
http://www.armslist.com/posts/14164...un--bolt-action--mossberg-with-polychoke--115

some are deals some are not. Posted the link just togive you and idea of options

Hawnjigs

KISS
Good suggestions, but I have to consider being a short guy at 5'3" with proportionately short arms, in addition to pushing 70.

The Ithaca 37 appear to be a masterpiece both in looks and function made to last a lifetime and more.

I do know someone who is a competition skeet shooter but would rather avoid the club scene.

Kdog

The Itacas are a nice gun. Yes you are a smaller guy so the youth models my be a better fit. My father was 5'6 and loved his model 37 but hunted more with the youth model h&r the he bought me for my 12th birthday. Realistically, I outgrew it after the first year but he loved it.

If you really want to go 20 gauge, be sure the chamber will take the 3" shells. that extra bit of shot makes a world of difference on pattern density

Hawnjigs

KISS
Thanks for the advice. Will probably end up with the youth H&R like your Dad, as the CVA turkey 20 gauge appears to be discontinued. But, as you say keeping my options open and will look for a gun shop that can assist.

Hawnjigs

KISS
Went shopping online for an H&R Pardner youth model with discouraging results.  Altho the H&R website is still up, they apparently shut down USA production last year and only actively markets a MADE IN CHINA pump shotgun. More discouraging, this after H&R was aquired along with Marlin and Remington firearms among others by an entity called the Freedom Group, a subsidiary of Cerebrus Capital Management. There are a few rants online about how quality of FG products has tanked, here is one such discussion.
http://www.ar15.com/forums/t_1_5/16...om_Group_company__You_should_reconsider_.html

duffy

For a good 20g pump take a look at a Benelli Nova. They make a youth model too but the standard version is light and nimble, comes with a red front bead and the trigger is pretty good. Very durable and reasonable plus you can get a turkey choke for it as it has interchangeable chokes. For even less you can go with a Stoeger P3000 12 gauge (not sure if they make a 20 in it.) but it's similar to the nova just made in Turkey, and that's what your after anyway isn't it? :D

Uncle Grump

Hawn

I'm coming in to this thread late, but have you considered a Mossberg 500? Cost is reasonable - about $300 - not beautiful/pretty - but definitely will do the job if you hold up your end of the deal.

UG

Hawnjigs

KISS
UG,  indeed the Mossberg 500 is a reliable pump with an admirable track record.  Still hoping to find & H&R youth model single shot, but man they are difficult to find. Our local gun show in Jan only had one H&R among lots of vendors, & I passed on it the first go around as it was a long barrel Topper model. Second time around it was gone.

I like the idea of starting out like a kid learning the discipline of a single shot, plus the simplicity of maintenance.  So, not interested in a pump or semi of any brand or cost.

Uncle Grump

Hawn

<Putting on my Hunter Safety/Shooting Instructor hat>

Two schools of thought regarding starting a kid in the shooting sports....

You expressed one - and there is nothing wrong w/ the concept - but there is a "rub"...

The issue w/ most single shot shotguns is that they have an exposed hammer aka hammer safety. On some guns, the spring tension for getting the hammer cocked is quite strong. Small cold and/or wet thumbs can have difficulty doing that - slipping off - and depending on the distance the trigger got pulled before the slip occurs - a discharge is possible. And where is the business end of the firearm pointing? The same thing can happen when uncocking the gun. The student must pull the trigger to release the hammer while at the same time slowly lowering the hammer back to the un-cocked position.

I've got one of those (H&R in .410) - I do let youth shoot it, but believe me - I am standing right next to the shooter, and watching them like a hawk. Plus they get this information (spoken) during the shooting. Mind you - it's not only single shot shotguns that can have this issue - any firearm with an exposed hammer is a candidate.

Second and third points.....

Suppose your shooter gets the hammer cocked, and pulls the trigger on game - say a squirrel. The shooter hits the game, but doesn't make a kill shot. In the time it takes to reload, the squirrel can get away (wounded - potential slow lingering death) - plus the shooter is agitated, and less likely to be thinking safety vs "I got'ta get it" when trying to reload / take a follow up shot.

You will spend a good $100 getting a single - maybe more. The pump gun will set you back $300 +/- (just picked up a Mossberg 500 for that). Buy the single shot, you will need to then buy the pump/replacement/upgrade gun when your student out grows the single. Or - buy the pump gun upfront, and limit your student to loading a single shot until such time as they have proved to you that they can handle the firearm safely. Granted - that "I got'ta get it" moment can happen with a pump gun, but by eliminating the exposed hammer, a potential hazard is removed.

I had an adult (student) shooter whose thumb slipped off the hammer of a single action revolver - luckily the gun was pointed down range and toward a earthen backstop. It was scary - a very teachable moment.

</Putting on my Hunter Safety/Shooting Instructor hat>

Best of luck with your decision, and to you and your student shooter.

UG

Back