Drought in your area?

ragged edge

Here in New Mexico we are experiencing the worst drought in years. I found out yesterday from the wildlife department that the lake I normally fish will be drained for irrigation purposes. This will make the fourth lake dried up and three others not boat accessible.

SaltyBuckster

No drought here in Pa. But,while in Arizona for the last 30 years or so my favorite crappie lake would be drained by the Apache tribe to irrigate thier cantaloupe fields every summer,usuall down to 5%

JUNGLEJIM1

Record heat plus drought here this year. It's like fall,trees have been dropping their leaves for the past month to hold on to the moisture they get. I've seen brushpiles on lakes that I never knew were there before. Water flow on the rivers are almost non existent. We've had more rain this month than we did in May,June and July put together and what we got wasn't much. At least for now we have a few day's in the 80's.

toadfrog

It sucks here water is down everywhere and no rain . If you wonder what its like to walk across a bowl of shreaded wheat just come and walk on the grass here . We are watering cattle with tankers , feeding more feed now than in the winter . If the winter is bad we are Dead meat .

Fatman

With the amout of money in this country wasted, why don't they build a bunch of those de-salinization plants and use that water to fill in the lakes and water the crops.

Are you guys going to get any rain out of Tropical Depression Helene???

Fatman said:
With the amout of money in this country wasted, why don't they build a bunch of those de-salinization plants and use that water to fill in the lakes and water the crops.

Are you guys going to get any rain out of Tropical Depression Helene???

That is probably the dumbest thing I have heard. Exactly how many of these dries up lakes are on the bay or ocean. How many miles of pipeline would have to be laid. Mother nature knows exactly what she is doing it is man that screws everything up.

Besides I heard they where fixing to import bottle water from China ...

redman

Yes Garden has been burned to a crisp. Can't use our boat ramp waters too low. If I launch I have to use Tuckers camp's Boat ramp and it is if'y at best. The Trees are dying in great numbers as is the Deer population. Rain has skirted around us for two months. Don't know what sort of a fall Crappie season we will have. We might not even have a very good duck season this year.

This is like I heard my Dad and Grand dad and Grand ma talk about 1936. Never thought that I would see any thing like that but I guess I have this year far worse than last year around here. Just pray that it is not a harbinger of things that came in the 1940's. If it is then may God help our souls.

Redman

ragged edge

Since the last post a year ago things have got worse here and little rain to speak of. Less than an inch since the first of the year. 108 yesterday and possibly hotter today. Sure need rain to fill these lakes up around here and national forests are closed due to fires. Hard to breathe here in the valley. Saw a lizard on a cars muffler trying to cool off its so hot........

Bucko

sorry to hear about all the lakes drying up for you guys. up here we have the complete opposite. we've had way too muchrain this year. the rivers and creeks have been flooded most of the year. it was so wet this spring the crops went in super late and some farmers didn't even get their crops in some of the more low lying areas. some say you have to go back to the late sixties or early seventies to find a summer as wet as this one has been.

JUNGLEJIM1

I hope you get some soon. We have the opposite problem here. Too much rain. Water is everywhere. I wish we could send it down to you.

ragged edge

JJ and Bucko we would certainly take it for sure......The wildlife department is concerned about getting water to the plains animals, deer,antelope, turkey etc. They are donating money to the ranchers for their water as the wildlife and cows share the same water hole....

StumpHunter

Hate to hear y'all are having a bad drought. We are out of the drought we have been in for many years. All the lakes are full now and I hope y'all can get some rain soon.

BucktailJiger

Got more water here than we can handle . Just got done down pouring again . Farmers are so far behind in planting here and some of the crops that were in are ruined and need to be replanted . Gonna feel this at the check out for food and fuel for sure ! Fishing has been terrible this year water is chocolate brown everywhere . Last year at this time couldn't buy a rain drop here .

Uncle Grump

Add me one the 'to much rain' list - the stuff just won't quit....the longest period this spring we've had w/o rain or snow (yup - it snowed (12" worth) the 1st of May) has been 5 days.

Wifelet and I mudded in the 'taters - we ran the tiller thru one of the gardens and made mud balls. Fields to wet to plant are common, as are crops under water, etc.....

UG

JSC

I wish yall had some of this rain we have been getting the last 36 hours (aprox 8.5 inches here at the house)
Been here close to 50 years and remember only 2 other times when we had as much ... All tropical depressions. Our River are gettin really flushed out ... Had to go out this AM and do some "Ditchin" to keep it out of the "Breeze way" ... This big rain is not messing with me on the Septic Tank as we got tied into a sewage line a while back ... If we still had that old tank it would be running back in on us :)
Been a few years since our river got over flood stage as we were short on rain but it is catching up now.

Back