Anniversary gift

hookup

I'm been smoking meat for the past 30 years. Usually use an old grill converted to a smoker until they rust out. About 8 years ago bought a box smoker from Wally World and it worked, but always wanted a Weber. The box smoker bit the dust early this year and my wife's been missing me smoking meat. So for our anniversary we decided to get a Weber Smoky Mtn Smoker. Since it's just the wife and I we got the 14" one. Wish I would have gotten the bigger one, but as I learn this one, I'm finding out I can make more food than my wife & I need. Another advantage is when people "volunteer" me to cook for a party I can say I just don't have a smoker big enough LOL.

YVAhIpC.jpg

So far I've made a pork shoulder roast,

1BvitAv.jpg

ribs

CCW4Fj0.jpg

and a pork butt roast (sorry, no pix)

I've always smoked with propane, but now I get to play with fire. Advantage is I can run the smoker in the winter. It was cold and blustery yesterday and the smoker held it's temps nicely.

Next plan is some salmon. Also have some rock fish in the freezer I may add?

As I learn this new smoker, I'm figuring out little tricks to help me with. Also, the inter web's helping shortening the learning curve.

Hawnjigs

KISS
Nice, just the right size for 2 speshly since a good excuse not to be conscripted for parties. I got by with a cheap Brinkman charcoal Smoke n Grill for many years now have a Masterbuilt electric box. The Brinkman was better for ribs, the Masterbuilt for fish.

hookup

Nice thing Hawn is they all work well. I've used all the smokers for both meat & fish. Each smoker has a learning curve and I'm working to learn this one. And I wanted to play with fire again LOL

hookup

Morning smoke

Chopped up fresh ginger, garlic, and onion real fine. Mixed with soy sauce, teriyaki, shirasa, brown sugar and EVOO. Marinated for 24 hours. Smoking with hickory.

C41Bblt.jpg

hookup

How long did it take to cook the butt roast

About 12 hours total. 6 hours on the smoker, 5 in the oven, 1 hour wrapped and placed in a cooler with towels too rest. Temps started dropping on the smoker after 6 hours so I shoved it into the oven at 225dF. The second roast I added more coal to the basket, and every couple hours would throw in 6-7 briquettes

Back