Almost a Pouring Disaster

cadman

Jim,
I'm glad you're Ok and didn't get burned. I too like LedHed always take any kind of junk lead and melt it in a cast iron pot. What this does is, as the lead heats up, it dries and takes the moisture or evaporates any water that could be trapped in used lead. Never ever put any used lead it a hot lead pot. Put in only ingots you have made yourself in the past. Stay safe.

Mack

I always melt my used lead outside over an open fire (wood)... and yes people always say what you cant melt metal over an open fire but believe me I have melted glass in an open fire... I just took a cheap charcoal grill and use it for smelting/purifying for ingots... doesn't take a big fire at all... and its totally worth the safety later on... stay safe man and keep an eye on that wound because if you should have gotten stitches it could easily get infected... take care jim

meltleadalot2693

If I were you I would have put the sinker in first before it melted and then add clean lead. That way something like that would be avoided. I bet now you wear a face shield or safety glasses because of the "tinsel fairy" visit.

hookup

You are truely blessed.

I'm wondering if your sinker contained any salt. I got some lead sinkers that poped (but nothing like yours) and discovered the lead was laced with white veins of salt from where the moisture dried up years ago, but left behind the minerals.

Because of the popping, I now pre-melt everything outside in the driveway, adding the lead with a needle nose, then moving back real fast to avoid any issues. Also a good way to 'clean' the lead of any impurities.

hookup

Thanks to this thread, when this happened to me last weekend I was ok.

Thanx for sharing Jim -- saved me a near disaster.

JUNGLEJIM1

hookup, the sinker that exploded on me could have had salt in it as well. A friend found them while walking along a beach in Maryland and sent me them.

goodtimesfishing

Is it safe to melt your lead with a propane bottle type torch? And if it is, would it prevent the moisture form exploding. Say you held the lead weight above the pot and hit it with the flame from torch and let it melt that way.....that way it is not submerged in already melted lead?

Fatman

Don't do it!!!! It will still splatter if there's moisture in it. I learned it the hard way!! Used to wire the clips and then melt them off and got one and it popped and it do hurt!!!!!!!!

redear

I know this is an older thread but yesterday I took a cold ladle and dipped it into a hot pot full of lead and this very thing happened to me, the lead blew up and probably blew 3 oz. of lead all over the bench and me, there was no moisture involved, I was using a little palmer hot pot which gets the lead alot hotter than a lee, far as I can tell.

Kdog

First time I saw this thread.

You were very lucky. I have 30+ years in Foundry management Aluminum through steel and water still scares the *(*& out of me. There are a lot of other things that with other metals can cause a magnified version of what you experienced. Aluminum is not too reactive, Zinc OTOH is like a rocket Ferrous metals Iron Steel etc create so much pressure it is more like a bomb going off. My first experience was an overheated furnace due to a defective cooling line. The cooling line filled the pit below the furnace with 4-6 inches of water. The furnace then failed and burned thru its lining dumping ~180 tons of 3400 degree iron on top of the water The result was an explosion heard for several blocks. The metal poked holes thru the roof 60 feet above. ignited several small fires throughout the department 300 - 500 feet away poked holes in a concrete block wall surrounding the pit and in general looked like a bomb had gone off.

Yes we were prepared and everyone knew what to do so no injuries just a very expensive machine failure, (I was a rookie and did what my boss said to do.) For me, it was a valuable lesson. You can watch videos, read books etc, but cannot appreciate the violent nature of molten metal and its reaction with trapped water. Yes, I know lead melting does not have the heat, but trapped water turns to steam at 212 degrees, at 500 degrees the resulting steam pressure is 700 psi and at 550 degrees is 1000 psi pressure so the reaction becomes quite impressive and the hotter it is, the more extreme the reaction.

I always wear safety goggles and a hat and boots with my pant legs over the boot tops. Most of the year, I wear a welders jacket mostly because my basement is cold not damp because a dehumidifier runs year round. I only charge my pot with ingots that I have cast and properly stored I also have a hanging shield between myself and the pot (spark curtain from top of dust collector to basically the top of the pot) I can access the pot and if something ever happens it will be contained by the spark curtain. For me it was an easy way to improve vapor containment and provide a measure of protection in the event of a reaction in the pot.

Proper precautions can save lots of pain and make clean up much easier if something happens. Yes, wear your glasses/goggle, I suggest some head covering and arm covering. In warm weather I use a pair of cotton boot socks with the toe cut out for basic forearm protection.. stay away from any meltable fabric. Shoes are mandatory and I prefer slip on ankle boots that fit inside my pant legs. Shirt is untucked and over my belt. Think sage and you will stay safe and as Mr Murphy says. "If it can happen.... IT WILL!"

eyecrosser

Just getting into pouring and been collecting lead here and there, thanks for the lesson Jim and thankful you weren't hurt worse. Be safe.

hookup

I'm getting a bucket of lead today that'll be delivered in the back of a pickup. With 3-5" of rain today, I'll be putting the lead out on newpaper for a few days even before I think of melting it. May even do small batches & heat it up in a toaster over I use for baking powder paint.

Or may just wait until a few hot days in summer before even considering melting it down into muffin ingots.

As kdog said, water + molten metal = disaster

Kdog

hookup said:
I'm getting a bucket of lead today that'll be delivered in the back of a pickup. With 3-5" of rain today, I'll be putting the lead out on newpaper for a few days even before I think of melting it. May even do small batches & heat it up in a toaster over I use for baking powder paint.

Or may just wait until a few hot days in summer before even considering melting it down into muffin ingots.

As kdog said, water + molten metal = disaster

I would melt it down outside and make my own ingots, If there is entrapped water, toaster oven may take 24 hours to get it out. It is a good idea to air dry it asap just for cleanliness.

hookup

I melt everything outside, but thanx for the air dry asap tip.

Fatman

redear - glad you're okay, you've had enough excitement with the tornado tearing you up.

My cast iron pot for melting lead down has a lid on it, and even a little bit of moisture will rattle the whole pot. Be careful all!!

Back