Almost a Pouring Disaster

JUNGLEJIM1

I was pouring jigs Monday morning and decided to melt a large 12 oz. bass casting sinker that a friend had sent me some time ago.The sinker had been sitting in a tackle box in a dry basement for years. It had been found during low water. I used a needlenose pliers to dip it into the pot,holding the steel leader that was attached to the other hand. A couple seconds after the sinker was submerged the pot it literally exploded with a loud pop sending lead in every direction. I was sitting directly in front of the pot when this happened and somehow got from a sitting position to a safe distance in a split second without being burned severely. I believe I flew out of the chair with help from my higher power. I truly believe GOD was with me when it happened and saved me from some horrible burns and even blindness. Believe me when I say it could have been much worse. I gashed my leg just below the knee which probably needed stitches but I butterflied it after I realized I was bleeding and the blood soked through my pants. I had lead sticking to both eyelids which caused some burns as well as burns to both hands and one spot on my left arm where the splattered lead had burned through my long sleeve shirt. The first picture is difficult to see but there is lead hanging from my left eyelid.I had removed the piece from my right before I thought of taking pictures. I actually lost a shoe in the process and it took awhile to find it some thirty feet or so away. I defintely could have been blinded as well as severely burned. You can say I was lucky but I know there is more to this than luck. A couple pictures are of the sinker that exploded,of my desk area after it happened and a picture of the sealing which is about 4-5 feet above the pot.It got the walls,floor and just about everything else in about a ten foot radius. Evidently the sinker hadn't been a solid pour and had been snagged up sitting on the bottom where it filled with water slowly and then rusting closed with water still inside creating a grenade that went off on me!!!!!!!! I'm careful while pouring so this was a shock. The main thing I did wrong was not wearing eye protection. I have blisters on my eyelids,one popped and it hurts like he!!!!!! I wanted to post this to let everyone who pours know that accidents could happen no matter how careful you think you are. Please wear eye protection while pouring and be SAFE. I'll post a picture of my shirt later.This should be a sticky or something.

Attachments

• IMG_3555.JPG
    IMG_3555.JPG
    40.2 KB · Views: 319
  • IMG_3557.JPG
    IMG_3557.JPG
    76.1 KB · Views: 319
  • IMG_3559.JPG
    IMG_3559.JPG
    70.1 KB · Views: 318
  • IMG_3563.JPG
    IMG_3563.JPG
    54.1 KB · Views: 318
  • IMG_3564.JPG
    IMG_3564.JPG
    49 KB · Views: 319

upnort16

Man o man, lucky is putting it mildly!! As everyone who has melted lead for any length of time has had a burn here and there, moisture in the pot causing what you just experienced is the most DREADED fear of all! As you said and I shall repeat, thank GOD it turned out the way it did!

AtticaFish

Administrator
Staff member
That is crazy! Some very large splats of lead on that table... and everywhere else!!! Very lucky things did not turn out worse - stay safe.

Think it is a good idea to stick this at the top of the pouring board....

Ron Don

Future Sponsor
Geez Jungle! Im glad you were blessed by the good Lord. Im also glad you posted this. We need a constant reminder of how dangerous pouring can be. Seems like the longer we do something the more careless we get at doing it. This just shows anything can happen! Jim, we're glad you can still see so you can keep making those beautiful jigs!

baitmaster

Jim,
Thank God you are alright. I have never been a safety gear kind of guy. I always think.....I am safe, so I will be alright. This make me reconsider my take on safety gear.

LedHed

Sponsor
What a reality check – I been getting to the “taking everything for granted’ mode. That has got to STOP.

You are very fortunate Jim – thnx for sharing – glad you were able to avoid serious injuries.

toadfrog

I don't think any of us really realize how bad you can get hurt from our little hobby. Especially when you have done it as long as some of us. The pics look very familiar . Jogged me right out of my old timers disease and back to reality. I've been guilty of putting lead I haven't pre smelted in my pot lately . Bet I quit that pronto . Thanks for the wake up call. Glad to see you can see.

JSC

"Wow, you're a lucky guy."

DITTO

I had a young man pouring for me back in the 60's that had something similiar happen to him and he was a lot luckier than you were.

A hurtful reminder

JSC

Uncle Grump

JJ

Thank you for the the courage to post this - and thank you to God for protecting you from worse harm.

It's been a while since I've poured, and I will admit to getting lax on using my safety gear - wearing a sweat shirt and face shield while melting lead. Been wearing them while doing the pouring, but not melting. That has got to change. I am going to print this post and store w/ my molds and other pouring gear as a reminder.

UG

Pup

I'm glad that you're OK. That's most important.

Lead work must be very serious business. Moreso than I'd ever thought about before.

hhawkins

Praise the lord, you have an angel with you from god. I haven't poured lead, I've been getting jig heads from a person that lives here local, well my round heads anyway.

Nightprowler

JJ1, I am glad to hear you are ok. Thanks for bringing to everyone attention to BE CAREFUL! I was at a sporting show talking to a fella with many years of experience with casting lead. He stress about keeping moisture away from your lead pots. He said to be carful in the summer time as well with sweat dripping into the pot. Something I never really thought about. He also baked all his lead before using it. Accidents can happen in a blink. Again, glad your ok.
NightProwler

ScottV

Thanks for posting this JJ and thank the Lord you're okay. I've never poured lead, always bought my heads. I'll remember this lesson if I ever start pouring.

JUNGLEJIM1

A couple pics of the shirt I was wearing showing the lead spatter when the accident occurred. There was more but I pulled some off. I was back to pouring the day after it happened. I tied a few up tonight but quit after breaking a couple blisters on my hands.I'll try again in a few days. In case you were wondering,the pink quilt was a gift to my wife from one of my daughters at Christmas. I think they like trying to pi$$ me off. I do like pink in some of my jigs though.

Attachments

• IMG_3576.JPG
    IMG_3576.JPG
    55.4 KB · Views: 121
  • IMG_3577.JPG
    IMG_3577.JPG
    49.3 KB · Views: 120

StumpHunter

Man, glad to hear you didn't get burned anymore than you did. That was to close to your eyes. It's so easy to not wear safety glasses but it does cost you big time when something like this happens. Thanks for posting this, it's a wake up for all of us.

Nightprowler

JJ1, I put a post of Crappie.com about your story. I wish you would copy and paste your story there as well to give a warning of the dangers with lead casting. It is a story that needs to be shared with everyone who enjoys the hobby.
NightProwler

JUNGLEJIM1

If anyone would like to post the pics on another site send me your email address and I'll send you the pics. I think these should be posted on other sites,but copying and pasting is not my forte'. It's much easier posting here than other sites.

LedHed

Sponsor
A couple of safety observations from the incident;

1.At least (bare minimum) where eye protection.

2.Melt all suspect lead outside – into ingots.

3.When pouring in a confined space use ingots and sheets, only!

Back