A Couple questions

SlabHappy

I have a couple questions about building a rod. First, how do you go about sizing the tip? I bought the tip (4.5, 1.8mm tube) that it showed on the rod specs, but it doesnt quite fit. Just curious if you size your tip a little big?
Second thing is, the rod blank looks like it has some cracks in the blank down near the handle. The handle will be over the top of it, and curious if you think the epoxy would bind it back together, or I should return. I already have to return the butt cap and order a new one and get a new tip, so curious if I should return the blank as well. According to Mudholes return policy, I pay shipping, so curious what you thought of if I should return it?

hookup

I size tips first by the specs the manufacture has, then double check with a tool that most rod building shops sell for a couple bucks.

As far as cracks, are they in the finish - or actual cracks in the graphite or fiberglass. Sometimes the finish can be polished and remove any imperfections - in other words, your cracks could be just scratches in the finish. But if the crack goes into the glass, return it.

What blank is it? If it's one of the el cheapo's they sell, it'll cost you more to ship back. If its an MBX, mudhole should honor their brand & it's quality. They've been good to me in the past.

If it's something like a St Croix, the manufacture would be a better choice than the retailer.

SlabHappy

The ID of the tip is right at the OD of the blank (1.8mm). Might try to lightly sand the tip to get it to fit. The blank is a ST-1081 MHX. I cant quite tell if its just blimish or cracked. It's small, maybe inch or so and will be right where handle would be. Thinking maybe handle will distribute load accross it, and throw a little extra epoxy in it. I'll try to take a pic tonight and see what you think about returning.

Kdog

I would call Mudhole and voice my concerns. They always seem straught up and honest when discussing their products. IMO they want you to be happy and successful.

Kdog

I would call Mudhole and voice my concerns. They always seem straught up and honest when discussing their products. IMO they want you to be happy and successful.

SlabHappy

I called them, but the guy I talked with wasn't that helpful, and kind of a dick. I think I am just going to use it. I think once I put some epoxy in it, it will be fine. I built up and turned my butt last night and spined the blank. I glued up the cork rings to my handle and foregrip, and going to turn them down later. If I get a chance, going to try to build up the handle. I sanded the tip a little and got my tip to fit. It's coming together. Hope it turns out to be a decent rod. The blank, MHX-ST-1081, turned out to be a little stouter than I thought, but should work good. Planning to mold a little lead to stuff the blank to balance it.

SlabHappy

Here's a pic of the blank. Do you think I should use it or return it?
DSC03907_zpse98734ba.jpg

SlabHappy

Well I answered my own question, broke it right at this spot while trying to find the spine. It's going back.

SlabHappy

Well, Mudhole fixed me up. Have me a new blank going out in the morning. Even let me keep the bad blank, giving me a replacement tip, if I ever break the tip section.

SlabHappy

Well, here is as far as I have gotten. I'm glad it broke before I started mixing epoxy. I was about to start, but wanted to double check the spine. Here is the foregrip. I put the burled cork trim on the top, but chipped it while reaming, so had to sand it down thin.
DSC03911_zps457618a5.jpg

Here's the grip, I put the burled cork trim on it too. Planned on putting one on each, but used more for my butt cap.
DSC03910_zpsbfcc8fa8.jpg

Here is the butt cap. I used the weighted cap and built up my own butt cap. I got a little heavy on the turning, and accidentally put a small groove around the back.
DSC03909_zps9830ca37.jpg

Hope to get close to finishing it up this weekend. I am still suppose to finish up pouring some jigheads and tying 25 craws for someone on TFF, so not sure I'll get it done. Tried to pour them this last weekend, but pulled the silicon out of my mold twice while trying to pour.

SlabHappy

Well, I got my guides tied up for my tip section. I won't get my replacement blank till tuesday. I'll still have epoxying the handle, 3 guides, 2 hook keepers. I think it should turn out pretty nice, once I get the guides epoxied.
DSC03929_zps7743bf8c.jpg

DSC03932_zps5fa900fc.jpg

DSC03935_zps5ba54c3e.jpg

DSC03931_zps7a0f80ed.jpg

DSC03934_zpsc3ea1316.jpg

hookup

take a bic lighter & lightly fan the frayed ends of the thread to clean them up before epoxying

SlabHappy

hookup said:
take a bic lighter & lightly fan the frayed ends of the thread to clean them up before epoxying
Yeah, i did that after the pics were taken, got a little close and cinged one off. Thinking of re-tying the first few (from tip end). My first couple were not too great.

Back