Zonkers: good place to buy?

FuzzyGrub

I want to try some smallie patterns using rabbit stips. Want to start with four colors: dark olive, olive, black, & brown. Where is a good place to order from without getting wacked with high shipping? Thx.

hookup

Couple times a year Orvis sends out a coupon - buy $50 worth of stuff for $25. That's when I stock up on zonkers & crosscut rabbit.

Fatman

You can check JStockard - If you register over at The flytying forum and register for their email news you'll get discounts as they're a sponsor of that board.

AtticaFish

Administrator
Staff member
Just a FYI: I have ordered from other 'tackle' places and honestly feel i got shanked on the quality in the past. Either very thin skin that rips easily or very thick skin that was not cleaned/tanned properly. As with a lot of other things, run that risk buying it online without seeing it in hand.

Here is one - http://www.otetackle.com/rabbit - they sell a mixed 'bag of bunny' for about $5 but you get a mix of colors. Be good for someone wanting to just try it out, maybe not so good if looking for specific colors. Never purchased directly from them so can't vouch for the quality.

About the cheapest i have found is - http://www.barlowstackle.com/Dyed-Hair-Fur-and-Tails-C157.aspx - The quality that i got from them was excellent! But that might have just been a good bunch of rabbits - who knows. You can get a half skin of cut zonkers for $10-$12 which makes a LOT of jigs. :cool:

hunter7711

I just got some from barlows and wasn't happy. You only get 3 strips everyone else is 4. Bob Marriott has a good selection and good quality

Sent from my SPH-D710 using Tapatalk 2

AtticaFish

Administrator
Staff member
Never purchased the small package from Barlows but have gotten some from Netcrafters........ ALL of those smaller packs are way over priced. The half skins come out to a fraction of the cost.

hunter7711 said:
....I just got some from barlows and wasn't happy....

JUNGLEJIM1

Stockard's pricing isn't bad. Most rabbit is Hareline's and it's a crapshoot as to what you get. I've gotten good and bad strips. I tie a lot of bass jigs with bunny strips and usually order half hide zonkers and full hides of the crosscuts because you'll use more wrapping bodies. Buying buy the small bags they are way over priced. Smaller shop here now special orders them for me and I get half skin barred zonkers for $10 and full skin crosscuts for $15. Occasionally see good deals on ebay on bunny strips.

FuzzyGrub

Well, the guy on ebay finally sent the invoice after 3 days! I went forward and paid vs cancelling. Yea, small quantity = higher prices. This should be enough for me to get my feet wet, and try a few different patterns. Sorry, I bothered you guys, but will use the info in future purchases. Now, to go read thru different jig patterns, and decide on which I'll try.

smalljaw

I go to "over the edge Tackle" and get spirit river UV2 rabbit strips but I only use them for tails mostly and a couple of full jigs simply because they are a little high but well worth the price as it is high quality. For single colors and regular cut zonkers I go to Cabelas, they are a dollar more than most but most give you about 3 feet give or take a few inches, Cabelas gives you a full 6 feet but they only have solid colors. The other place I just started using is Grandpa Bobs and I like that place for the tip dyed zonkers, the price is normal, the quality is great and shipping isn't bad.

Back