zonker strips

eyecrosser

What is the difference between a zonker strip and a cross-cut zonker and their use in tying, if any???? Nver have used any and thought about trying some on some new walleye jigs.

Fatman

The cross-cuts you tie in and then just wrap them for your body. The regular zonkers can do the same thing but you have to pull the hair back on each wrap to get the same effect. You can also cut a piece and use it as a tail on the jig.

You can see many examples of this here in the jig recipe section.

You can cut your own (make sure to have a bag to get any loose stuff and you can use it for dubbing) but I'll be buying some already cut as I don't want to buy a whole lot of rabbit skins.

AtticaFish

Administrator
Staff member
Took me a little digging to find, but below is a copy of a post made a few years ago........

AtticaFish said:
...here is something i was working on awhile back to post up on the site but never got around to doing it. Hopefully this shows the difference in how the hair lays on the strips...

Straight Cut - These are what you want for a tail material where the hide will extend out past the hook. The hide is very soft and flexible, it moves around in the water very easily and has some excellent action.
attachment.php

This jig has straight cut out behind the hook and a straight cut running up the back of the jig.
101_1243_e.jpg

Cross Cut - These are made to be wrapped around the hook shank similar to how you would wrap chenille. Just have to make sure the hair is pointing towards the back. It gives a nice full body to a jig or fly and the hair itself actually "breathes" when you give it a jigging motion, it's body expands and contracts.... very cool!!!
attachment.php

These jigs have both straight and cross cut zonkers. The striped fur out the back is a straight cut. The "body" fur (chart on the top jig) is a cross cut that was wrapped around the hook shank then i added in a small piece of cut from the hide fur (the black) to give it a back color.
101_1637_e.jpg

Hope this helps.....

Fatman

Excellent!!!! I couldn't find this one and I searched zonker strips and crosscuts so you went back way further than I did!!!!!!!!!

Thanks for re-posting!!!!!!!!

eyecrosser

Thanks for the help guys. Great explanation and some incredible examples. Exactly what I was looking for. All 3 jigs look like they would be awesome fish catchers. O n the top jig what is that white or silver material right behind the head. I love that jig.

AtticaFish

Administrator
Staff member
No problem - rabbit zonkers are probably my most used material so have done a lot of trial and error with them. I prefer the zonker cut and honestly do not buy cross-cut anymore but have a few strips of it left. End up just cutting the hair off the hide if trying to make a body of rabbit hair now.

The body on the top jig is made of medium sized silver tinsel chenille.... there could possibly have been a stripe of white chenille up the belly but can't remember - lost that jig many moons ago.

AtticaFish

Administrator
Staff member
eyecrosser said:
It sure was a dandy. BET IT CAUGHT YOU SOME FISH!!!!

Actually do remember the day i lost it..... was dragging it around behind my kayak in hopes of crappie and the cats were all over it. Caught several before the rip-rap claimed it. Lost several jigs that day - all the fish were holding tight to bottom at the transition from rip-rap to mud basin. Every time i would start bouncing it off the rocks, it would either get bit or hung.

Back