Zinc pouring

fish_4_all

Sorry this isn't about lead but I need to know about making small zinc ingots for anodes for some of my crab traps. Most likely don't even need them but I want to make sure because I am using 2 different metals, aluminum and rebar (steel) and I want to make sure that there is no current being generated. That and I would like for the rebar to last as long as possible.

I have a quality melter I just need to know if there is anything special that needs to be done or if there are any special danngers when working with zinc that you don't find with lead.

Bucho

It is said to produce really bad irritating toxic fumes when melted, which is why I passed on the cheap supply of discarted rim weights for my pouring. Wouldn`t touch that without consulting a professional.

Hawnjigs

KISS
From my early experiences inadvertently melting zinc wheel weights along with lead ones the zinc had a nasty tendency to coat aka galvanize bare metal pot & ladle surfaces. Maybe lashing some zinc wheels weights might be an alternative to messing up your melter?

RotoMetals sells zinc anodes.

Fatman

I wouldn't mess with it. As Bucho said the fumes are bad. You could always get some rubber dip and coat the traps or maybe even try some of the roll on bed liner to coat the rebar.

fish_4_all

The wheel weight idea is a good one, I didn't know they would be pure enough for using as an anode. Has to be a way to get them from a local tire shop for cheap.

I wish I could find quantities of the dip to make dipping easy enough. Painting it on works a little but is a pain with how fast it sets up. The roll on bed liner might be a good option and may be easier.

Rotometals has them but they are huge. My crab pots are small home made ones and I would need to remelt them into much smaller ingots. I may have to email them and see if I can get 1-2 ounce bars or strips for my traps.

Hawnjigs

KISS
The bar type anodes might be amenable to cutting with a hacksaw.

I would guess wheel weight zinc is Zamak 3 alloy Zn96 Al4. There is trend towards replacing lead WWs with steel or zinc - the only local tire shop which would sell used WWs to the public no longer uses lead. There are several brands of zinc WWs that appear here - easiest to spot are the ones stamped with "Zn"(duh). All types can be distinguished by lighter weight compared to lead.

Too bad all these years I've been tossing zinc WWs into the local metal recycle bin, so have none.

JSC

X2 LH .... They call them "Zinks" around here ... have not seen anyone use them on Crab Traps .. Coating is the way they do it here .. don't ask me how but they are all coated Black. (there may be a few who do not coat them ... I think they are not using them that much ... all serious ones use the coating)

FM -- he is concerned about "Electrolysis" (spellin) 2 different metals and around Saltwater generates it fast.

fish_4_all

Fatman, it is really fast if you mix up things too much as far as different metal types in salt water for crabbing.
I had almost dismissed the theory as bunk until I made one of my folding traps and used copper tubing to secure pieces onto the trap.
I took the trap out, baited it up and fished it right beside 3 others similar in design.
The copper tubing had to make the pot hot with electrical current because the trap caught 1 crab and it was the size of a silver dollar while the others worked really well.

The only other reason is so that the zinc will be eaten up by electrolysis before the auminum will be. Neither are expensive but replacing a little zinc strip will be a lot easier. If I could find the right pieces to finish the traps completely in aluminum I wouldn't have to worry about.

Anyone know a good place to find all things aluminum?

fish_4_all

Crabtrapspartsdiagram_zps344d2fb0.png

This is what I need to find or something as close as possible in aluminum. Anyone have any ideas. I used Ring connectors for electrical wires but they are zinc coated brass and will not last long. Only missing dimension is the thickness and that can be up to 1/4 inch but 1/16 to 1/8 is best.

Bucko

I'm not a crabber, I live in wisconsin, but wouldn't dipping them in plasticoat solve it? Its really durable and can be brushed on also.

fish_4_all

Plasti dip works okay but it wears off fast with the rope being pulled through the eyes so many times a day.

I haven't tried bed liner yet but I think that will be my next one to see if it lasts longer in the eylets.

I just want to make it all out of aluminum so I don't have to worry about it and eventually perfect it and maybe try to sell them.

toadfrog

You could probably use vinyl paint and brush it on , epoxy over coat it . will last a long time . you can also spray it . But the stuff spider webs like heck . DO IT OUTSIDE IN THE OPEN preferably with a respirator and rubber gloves ect . Get that stuff in body hair of any kind and you got a problem not to mention the headaches and general goofieness that comes with it . Which prolly explains a lot why I am the way I am .

Kdog

I have cast zinc commercially and one major caution is the flash is very, very sharp. Zinc is so flowable that it can flash 0.001 and will cut you and the cuts seem to be instantly infected.

Back