Z-man Elaztech

Hawnjigs

KISS
Getting spanked by the local regulars at the Sutherland Inlet targeting smaller wallys ended yesterday. It appears the Z-man opening night color Slim SwimZ caught more wallys than anyone throwing the preferred Keitech boot tails except for the reigning champ Jason & his unsurpassed presentation skills. Today the bite had unsurprisingly dialed down after the previous day pressure but the Slim SwimZ appeared to again outfish others surprisingly including Jason.

Also contributory was discontinuing mimicking the lift drop tekneek employed by everyone else in favor of a slower than usual twitch bottom bump retrieve facilitated by mostly snag free terrain.

The wallys were all keeper size 15-18" (released) and hoping warming weather will bring in some biguns.

Hawnjigs

KISS
Nearby spots lack sufficient catch & keep size & quantities of perch so I've never eaten one. Everyone here shoots for the 4 walleye between 15 & 21" limit, some every day. Can only keep one 22" & over within the 4.

The Elaztech bait wasn't an everyday magic bullet, 2 days ago everyone was catching wallys except me so hit the shop for the local fave Keitech Easy Shiner 3" to try and yesterday it ended up being the latest greatest outcatching skilled wally jigger Tom who had spanked me the day before. In all fairness tho I decided to mimic & modify Tom's lift drop retrieve & my choice "Sexy Shad" color might have been more bite attractive that day than his choices. Apparently wallys tend to favor different colors on different days with 80 available. Tom packs three rods with a different color on each. I prefer a simple natural baitfish color but the shop suggested some garish multi color combo heavy glitter ones as being best sellers.
1711386702233.png

Don't like to copy others but as they say if you can't lick em join em. Old dogs can learn new tricks. Do you have a nearby walleye fishery?

duffy

Fellow here uses a pearl-ish clear, dark fleck curly tail with good success. We always had the best success with just a jig and a night crawler. That’s #1 than the curly grubs. I haven’t been fishing for so dang long don’t know if I remember how.

Hawnjigs

KISS
Pearlish opaque white + clear fleck lam colors are popular here, but hardly anyone uses twisters here favoring Keitech 3" Easy Shiner paddle tails. Prior to fishing the 2 reservoir inlet canals this year for cold season wallys I thought they would bite most anything, not anymore., they are very picky about color and retrieve tekneek and I haven't figgered it out yet. Almost 60 yrs experience at the spot I fished today has enabled Preston to outfish everyone else every day and even with his advice I can't get bit like he can.

Observing Preston's retrieve tekneek it requires a precise speed & distance of rod lift, followed by a precise timing slow drop and hold in the current, likely enabled by a precise weight jig head.

Guessing most are tossing 1/4 or 3/16 oz heads tipped with Keitechs, and skilled jiggers like Preston appear to outfish the few bait dunkers.

hookup

Pearl white's a good color to have in the tackle box. So is something green and something with blue.

Walleye were made for the fillet knife. imho - a pan-sized walleye is the best.

Hawnjigs

KISS
Got tired of fumbling with someone else's method so hit another spot I know well with my current small wally fave 3" Elaztech opening night Slim SwimZ. 2 days total 6 wallys including 4 nice ones around 20" which is exceptional for this continually meathead hammered EZ access spot. Trick was to get on the water early before the crowd arrived.

The Slim SwimZ may not work anywhere anytime but when it does it shines with a slow twitch near bottom retrieve.

Last edited:

Hawnjigs

KISS
BTW I've been getting my Z-man baits and Keitechs here at discounted prices and shipping $3.99 under $59 and free over.

Back