Yet another one!

AllenOK

Got cut out really early from work today.  Early enough to load up the kayak and go back to what is becoming my home lake.  Started off with pieces of nightcrawlers under a float.  Nabbed my first-ever P'seed, at 8 1/2":

View attachment 8

Caught a few short LMBs and a few 'gills.  Then I realized the fish were probably focused on insect nymphs, judging from all the Damselfly shucks I saw coming through the weedbed to this spot.  Tied on a buggy-looking jig, and tipped it with a waxie.  Hung that under my float.  Cast out.  Immediate hit!  Started tagging 'gills with a greater frequency.

I did remember to bring my anchor this time.  It's just a 3 lbs hand weight tied to a thin line, but it held my kayak in some decent wind today.  I guess I'm going to have to start carrying that all the time now.

Attachments

• 20160528Pumpkinseed.JPG
    20160528Pumpkinseed.JPG
    116 KB · Views: 87

hookup

Pretty sunfish ...

I have a 3# woman's dumbbell with the rope through a carabinieri on the front handle of the yak with a yam cleat far enough away so I don't bust a knuckle with paddling

Cheap when you loose one by not paying attention to how much line's out & not having a knot or when the anchor gets hung up & you have to sacrifice it to the river gods

AllenOK

I've caught Longeared Sunnies before, and this definitely is not one of those.

Someone else on another website is telling me it might be a BG x PS hybrid. I wouldn't know enough about P'seeds to tell a difference.

AllenOK

Had some folks on another website offer up some pics, plus I did some looking on my own. I know think this is a Gillcracker, a BG x Red Eared Sunfish Hybrid.

duffy

hookup said:
Pretty sunfish ...

I have a 3# woman's dumbbell with the rope through a carabinieri on the front handle of the yak with a yam cleat far enough away so I don't bust a knuckle with paddling

Cheap when you loose one by not paying attention to how much line's out & not having a knot or when the anchor gets hung up & you have to sacrifice it to the river gods

That's a good idea. I've seen lot's of those dumbbells at goodwill and other thrift stores.
Nice fish there too!

Back