Yarn Jigs

Pup

Tied an assortment of 1/8 and 1/4-oz. jigs recently. Included are a slimmer ugly bug and a couple of electric chickens...for bass.

pinkhd006.jpg

Tied the black/pink ones below in an egg-sucking leech pattern and a couple of others to mimic roe skein for steelhead.

pinkhd001.jpg

Will likely fish all of the jigs above for smallmouth bass at some point too.

AtticaFish

Administrator
Staff member
Excellent ties! I have never tried Elec. Chicken color on bass, would assume it should work for smallies but have never tried anything close on LMB.

But... I have been catching all different size crappie on some big 1/4oz. jigs using a cheater float pegged 2'-3' above the jig. You can really swim them slow. ;) Can't wait till my river goes back down, but rain forcasted till Fri and the river is already high... :dodgy:

ScottV

Pup those are some great looking ties. How do you fish jigs for bass? I've used the store-bought weedless bass jigs where you cast and bump it off the bottom on the return. Do you usually fish these under a cork? Scott

Pup

Thanks for the comments everyone. :)

I use a bulky chenille yarn (#5) for the body. The tail is tied with an eyelash yarn. Been tying with this combination of yarns for about 6 years now, off and on.

I fish jigs of this type in my local river by bottom-bouncing them with a taut line. Just cast and let the current take over. I reel in just slowly enough to keep the slack out during my drifts.

The 1/8-oz. jigs get used in lighter current. The 1/4-oz. versions are for stronger flows or for when I fish a local reservoir.

AF,

I figure that the electric chicken color combination would be worth a try for bass. Chartreuse/Limetreuse is a good color for smallmouth bass imo and bubble gum (pink/fuchsia) is a popular color for both green and brown bass at times.

With those ties, I'm hoping for the best from both colors. We can't let the crappie guys have all of the fun. ;)[/hr]

Pup

Tied a couple of larger jigs of the "electric chicken" variety the other night.

superckn003.jpg

Used 1/4-oz. ball heads with 1/0 hooks. Each jig is approximately 2.5" long.

I'm eager to see if these will work well for smallmouth bass. :huh: Maybe, I can field test them this weekend...

Pup

Thanks CCJ and SH. :)

This is the last one of these that I'll tie for a while...I promise. ;)

bnddckn006a.jpg

Decided that I had to do a little bird banding. ;)[/hr]

Back