WTB hand tied jigs for Rainy Lake trip in June

RipzLipz

Hello all,

Before I get to my humble begging, just wanted to note that prior to posting, I checked with site admin & it was OK'd for me to do a bit of inquiring.  Also wanted to give props to all that do this for a living and as a hobby - I wish I had the time and talent to be self-sufficient like many of you are.  Unfortunately, my talents are sitting in front of a computer all day modeling automotive parts using some overly expensive CAD software.

I'm seeking an experienced hair/marabou jig maker to tie some jigs intended for smallmouth - willing to pay of course.  By some, I'm going to guess less than 50 at this point.  Light weight heads (under 3/8oz) possibly in multiple head shapes (not sure what all is possible with that and hooks combinations).  If at all possible, using Owner hooks (can be discussed - Mustad Ultra Points is second choice).  I am willing to let the expert weigh in on colors/patterns, etc.  I may sound picky, but that's just how some fishermen are, IMO.  I hope that is understandable.  Recommendations are also welcome.

Sorry for being one of "THOSE" guys but I've spent about 5 weeks scouring the internet (not a social media user) and haven't found too many that piqued my interest or wasn't quite the quality I expected or they were taking a break, etc.  I'm getting a bit frustrated with all the dead ends to say the least.  Saw some folks posting their work here and other forums and thought I'd at least do a "bit of fishing" and see if anyone would bite.

To be completely transparent, I'm not trying to steal anyone's work, etc.  Jigs will ONLY be used for fishing by me - not sold, etc. and I won't PM anyone that doesn't contact me first.  Any contact information won't be shared with others unless given permission.  I respect what everyone does for a living and a hobby and not looking to step on any toes with this request.

A bit about me - I'm a dad of 2 20-somethings who lives in IN and fishes when the water isn't hard - mainly for largemouth in old coal strip pits but when the gills and crappie are biting, I don't mind breaking out the ULs and getting some slabs for the freezer.  I do fish some bigger public waters but the pits are on what I cut my teeth and where I have caught all of my PBs. (7.5 is my best and still swims in the pit from where she was caught)  Have fished a ton with my dad over the years - and very thankful for that.  He took me to Quetico for my graduation present in 1989 and have had at least 1 smallie trip (usually up north somewhere - CAN, MI, WI) every year since (when life allowed).  Also fish for LM in the south - Stick Marsh/Farm 13/Kenansville in FL, Guntersville, and more recently Seminole in GA.

A huge thanks for all of your time if you read this far and feel free to respond in this thread or PM me.

Tight lines, all and thanks again for allowing this post, etc.!!!

RipzLipz

Hawnjigs said:
Senior member "Pup" has received published accolades for his ties AND is a resident of Indiana.

Why don't you like Gamakatsu?

Hi Hawnjigs,

First, thanks for reading and responding.

Yes, thank you.  I was told by a fellow Hoosier angler that knows Pup better than I that he mainly ties for friends and self/pleasure/hobby - didn't want to PM him if that were true.  If it's not and he's lurking around, I would rather him speak up than PM him.  Like I said, I don't want to be a nuisance or get a forum riot started.  I know some don't like people coming around asking for things - just trying to not rock the boat in that regard.

In regards to the hook brands I named, it simply boils down to personal preference and in what I have confidence.  Such questions (at least on larger fishing forums) can bring about major debates and I'd prefer to avoid that if at all possible.

Hawnjigs

KISS
Since you asked altho most common light wire molds are designed to fit Eagle Claw hooks I never liked their bottom of the line wire strength and mediocre points, and considering that track record suddenly offering the industry's most expensive and supposedly best Trokar hooks seemed advertising hype and I never tried any.

Owner hooks can be top of the line quality but there have been complaints about brittle batches.

Mustad Ultra Point used to be my favorite combining quality and value but their replacement NPBNs are softer wire.

Been satisfied with Gamakatsu, with the only caveat being narrow taper points fold on hard snags and need to be resharpened.

Edit:  Oops, didn't realize you edited your post, replied to original.

hookup

Welcome

Send an email to rd400d at hotmail dot com with your snail mail address and I'll send you a little care package with some of my ties

No charge

RipzLipz

Hawnjigs said:
Since you asked altho most common light wire molds are designed to fit Eagle Claw hooks I never liked their bottom of the line wire strength and mediocre points, and considering that track record suddenly offering the industry's most expensive and supposedly best Trokar hooks seemed advertising hype and I never tried any.

Owner hooks can be top of the line quality but there have been complaints about brittle batches.

Mustad Ultra Point used to be my favorite combining quality and value but their replacement NPBNs are softer wire.

Been satisfied with Gamakatsu, with the only caveat being narrow taper points fold on hard snags and need to be resharpened.

Edit:  Oops, didn't realize you edited your post, replied to original.

It's all good, Hawn - some people like certain lines, rods, reels, boats, fishfinders, coffee, steak cuts, women or lakes - others may or may not agree with what is liked/preferred by others.  I don't feel that makes either person more right or wrong.  I'm sure many people have had varying experiences with all brands of hooks - most popular brands probably perform close to the same if one were to really do a correct and accurate study with some variations in how the points behave/react to given circumstances.  I appreciate your information and notes you've made on your experiences.

I also don't want to sound like I couldn't be swayed to a different opinion/preference were I to take a "blind taste test".  Opinions vary and can change.  I've just not had any legitimate reason based on my experiences to have a different preference - simple as that, really.

hookup said:
Welcome

Send an email to rd400d at hotmail dot com with your snail mail address and I'll send you a little care package with some of my ties

No charge

Thank you very much - will do, hookup.  Are you sure you don't want any money?  I seriously don't mind paying for your time and work.  Thank you very much for your kindness - greatly appreciated.

JUNGLEJIM1

I don't know what you are looking for but I do make custom bass jigs and have been selling them on ebay as a hobby since 2004. If you would like to see my work I've posted many pictures on this site over the years or you can check ebay under custom hair jigs and you can find some of my jigs there. I have Owner hooks up to 2/0 and Mustads up to 6/0. Got a thing about sharp hooks myself and use Trokars for a lot of my personal jigs. If you see something you want send me a pm.

RipzLipz

JUNGLEJIM1 said:
I don't know what you are looking for but I do make custom bass jigs and have been selling them on ebay as a hobby since 2004. If you would like to see my work I've posted many pictures on this site over the years or you can check ebay under custom hair jigs and you can find some of my jigs there. I have Owner hooks up to 2/0 and  Mustads up to 6/0. Got a thing about sharp hooks myself and use Trokars for a lot of my personal jigs. If you see something you want send me a pm.
Will take a look - much appreciation for the reply and info.

Back