WTB 1/4 oz Round

Ron Don

Future Sponsor
I know its probably a long shot to find one on here but Im looking for another 1/4 oz ball head pro mold. No collar. Anyone have one they don't need?

AtticaFish

Administrator
Staff member
1/4's are purty darn big, going bigger for those diner plate crappie ehh??? How big is your larger sized fish head mold? Has to be pretty close to that and know it cuts water pretty well. Are you shooting for fishing 1/4's vertical or long lining back behind the boat on the move? Just thinking rounds may not be the choice (shape) if you want to keep an exact depth behind the boat while pulling/dragging. Thin profile shads may be better? Have a hook size preference? Dang, i am full of questions tonight..... did you catch all those?

..........have been on a route just about 180 degrees from yours over the last year or so after catching some of my largest ever slabs on little #10 hook clouser minnows.

quivira kid

AtticaFish said:
..........have been on a route just about 180 degrees from yours over the last year or so after catching some of my largest ever slabs on little #10 hook clouser minnows.

I don't know what you're talking about. ;) Crappie don't eat little tiny things like that. (Try chartreuse squirrel over white kip)

AtticaFish

Administrator
Staff member
quivira kid said:
...... (Try chartreuse squirrel over white kip)

Black/orange has been hands down the winning color for me. Close second is black/yellow. Will have to try some chart/white that small, usually use that combo on larger, fast ripping smallmouth jigs and flies.

Wait a sec.... what were you talking about again Ron Don................? Sorry. :blush:

Ron Don

Future Sponsor
Thanks Led and Plate I'm needin to own the mold but I appreciate the offer. Already have one but it got pinned and need one without eyes. Probably have to buy a new one which doesn't cost much more than a used anyway.

Ruscle mania We're basically trophy fishing. Really want to catch a 3 pounder. Been using muc bigger stuff the past few weeks and see it truly makes a difference in size of fish. Do big fish eat small baits? Yes but you can't cover near as much area fishing 1/16 or even 1/8. Actually even been sing some 3/8 ball heads.

Lost Pole

Ron Don said:
Thanks Led and Plate I'm needin to own the mold but I appreciate the offer. Already have one but it got pinned and need one without eyes. Probably have to buy a new one which doesn't cost much more than a used anyway.

Ruscle mania We're basically trophy fishing. Really want to catch a 3 pounder. Been using muc bigger stuff the past few weeks and see it truly makes a difference in size of fish. Do big fish eat small baits? Yes but you can't cover near as much area fishing 1/16 or even 1/8. Actually even been sing some 3/8 ball heads.

What size hooks are you using in 1/4oz.
I been wanting some with #2sickles but haven't found any locally.
And what ya mean cover more area?
Water column depth wise? Trolling?

Ron Don

Future Sponsor
Using 1/0 to 3/0 hooks. Mainly spider rigging so slow trolling. Just ordered the 1/4 pro 101. And a 1/4 ,3/8 darter mold.

Jig Man

Ron, I went to the lake last night that I caught all those big crappie at last year. Deepest water I found was 2 and 1/2 feet. I didn't get a bump, but the pelicans were having a field day. Sure wish it would rain quick. OH Ivie still has a good deal of water in it, but if it doesn't catch some water soon you wont be able to launch a boat there either...

papaperch

Ron Don - don't know much bout dem Louisianer crappie. But iffen I only wanted BIG slabs I would pull crank baits. I might be lying here not 100% certain. But don't remember catching a crappie under 12 inches on cranks. Once again the bigger cranks like a bandit 300. That size there is about perfect. Also your stick minners like rapalas but use the size 7 at least. If you tie on 3 or 5 size smaller crappie will hit those.

Another trick with live bait is to use minners that you would normally think only a bass would eat.Think about 4-5 inches head to tail. Most of the experts will tell you that's too big for crappie. But the big crappie won't tell you that.

One of the biggest crappie I ever caught had him a 3/8 oz jig with a 4 1/2 in twister tail stuck in the roof of his mouth. He was caught on a no5 shad rap. Either angler cut the line or fish broke line on snag. Lots of guys up here will only keep walleye to eat. Some of them just cut their line rather than fool with a fish they aren't going to keep. If its just a hook or a jig they break their scissors out.

toadfrog

Ron Don said:
I know its probably a long shot to find one on here but Im looking for another 1/4 oz ball head pro mold. No collar. Anyone have one they don't need?

Turns out me too.

Back