Wool for Dubbin?

duffy

Could combed out wool be used for dubbin bodies on jigs? Pro's/Cons? Never dubbed before but thought it might be a good material. I've been saving the fine's that I comb out of the bucktails and anything else but that takes a while to build some up.

Fatman

AtticaFish

Administrator
Staff member
Nothing is off the table for me when it comes to dubbing.  I have used cat hair and even seen someone use human beard hair in the past.  Short little segment of hair are best.  Some people 'grind' it up in a coffee grinder but i have always preferred to just rough cut it with my trim scissors.  I don't work in big volume so don't need much at a time and tend to blend together colors/flash for what i what at that time.

Bucho

Love my coffee grinder, great for blending some flash into hare and stuff. Even blunded a mixer`s blades once for larger scale use and made my own dubbing brush with copper wire and an electric drill but that has become too much work for commercial use.

I know a tier who sprinkles flash dubbing over his cat before combing it ;-) Even the fines out of craft fur can be used, depending on size of pattern.

duffy

I was thinking of the wool partly from the posts of Red's jigs and also the while looking at the small jigs Attica had tied in the "testing,testing" post. Just thought it might be an interesting combo. BTW Bucho, if you use Cat hair for jigs wouldn't that scare away the fish or would they attack them to "get even"?  :D :D

Back