Wire Grub Grip

SPOONMINNOW

Who doesn't get irritated when a soft plastic lure slides down the jig hook? This solution
puts an end to that....and no, fish could care less.

grub grip method and examples.jpg
Spoon Minnow with wire in place: another example
spoon minnow.jpg WIRE IN PLACE.jpg

Last edited:

Hawnjigs

KISS
Hmm, might have to try this. What kind of wire?

Does the weight of the wire cause the jig to lean to a side?

Most of my heavy wire hook heads have the hook eye flush on the head with no post protruding to wrap the wire.

SPOONMINNOW

24g plastic-coated floral arrangement wire for hook sizes #6 and larger;
smaller 26g for 1/32 or light jigs with small hooks #8 or smaller,
The wire cost $1.77/ 270 ft. at Walmart.

I remove the collar from jigs by crushing it with pliers and then cutting it off with wire cutters.
No point letting the collar damage the soft plastic.

Wire doesn't weigh anything, nothing that would affect the lure or jig.
Note: the wire L should be bent halfway or a little less than the hook length.

No one I know has reported trying the wire grip and I've posted it on many forums for the last 15 years,
.wire.JPGjigs with wire attached.jpg IMG_0109.JPG

Last edited:

SPOONMINNOW

The wire L also does great for spinnerbait and jig trailers:
Wrap the wire completely around once. It doesn't affect the up & down of the body & tail action.
trailer grip.jpg trailer grip 1.jpg

Creature Man

Smear some Super Glue on collar. Push plastic dressing up to jig head and hold for a minute.
Really no need to mess around with wire.
Don’t get caught with your pants down….sort of speak🫣. Carry a tube of super glue….enough said!

SPOONMINNOW

....but then when you want to change lures, a chunk of the plastic stays put, ruining the lure.
The wire grip does no damage and is a permanent attachment taking less than a few minutes per jig.
I add the wire to about a doz. jigs of each weight and hook size at home - never in the boat.

Hawnjigs

KISS
The wire keeper is a very functional idea but out here in the midwest the attitude would be if it ain't broke don't fix it, meaning generations of anglers have been using barb collar heads to catch fish successfully so why change? Altho I no longer use barb collar heads observing those that do a single bait can usually catch multiple fish before being torn enuf to not stay on the hook properly.

For myself I've always considered a $.50 or so cost of a plastic a worthwhile investment for even a single good fish, and some tuff baits like vintage Berkley Ripple Shads can catch toothy walleye an entire session on a single bait. Use em and lose em, most baits are lost due to bottom snags rather than compromised hook hold.

As mentioned my hesitation to try the wire keeper is that my day to day heavy wire hook heads don't have a protruding hook eye post to wrap the wire around. If I can find a suitable head I may try it, Thanks for sharing a worthwhile concept.

Last edited:

Hawnjigs

KISS
Like the preformed coil keepers that attach to hook eyes, I'd bet a similar design with a wire spike bait holder at the end instead of a coil could be worthy of mass distribution.

SPOONMINNOW

Done the coil for large gap hooks and 8" worms - still use it. But for small jigs, the GK is for me.

Back