Winter Steelhead Jig

Len

Started making some steelhead jigs for the winter bite...These are 1/16th with a #4 Mustad 2x strength hook...Will use these under a float...Steelhead seem to like the colors pink and white in the winter...
002_zps50b8ff49.jpg

AtticaFish

Administrator
Staff member
Heck yeah! Maybe they (the fish) think it is an egg sack with veil still attached? Doesn't matter if it catches fish i guess. ;) Looking good!

Would love to see more jigs intended for steelhead on here.

Shoemoo

They love pink and white. Try the same head and collar with just palmered rabbit strips and some flash for a body. Really durable and steelhead love it.

Nightmare (white head, read chenille body, black tail) is a good color combo too.

Len

Shoemoo said:
They love pink and white. Try the same head and collar with just palmered rabbit strips and some flash for a body. Really durable and steelhead love it.

Nightmare (white head, read chenille body, black tail) is a good color combo too.
Thanks for the idea using rabbit and the other color...was wondering what other colors to try.

JUNGLEJIM1

Nice tie, really like pink jigs. Another option that would add some flash is palmer chenille wrapped in at the collar instead of the hackle. I fell in love with that stuff for the last couple years and I'm just getting back to using hackle again.

Pop

JUNGLEJIM1 said:
Nice tie, really like pink jigs. Another option that would add some flash is palmer chenille wrapped in at the collar instead of the hackle. I fell in love with that stuff for the last couple years and I'm just getting back to using hackle again.
I am not familiar with a lot of terminology so understand some of my dilemma. "palmer chenille wrapped in at the collar". Isn't that chenille I see under the hackle? What would be the difference? Thanks, Pop

AtticaFish

Administrator
Staff member
Pop - I believe JungleJim is referring to a product from Wapsi that is called Palmer Chenille. Looks like this.....

Palmer-Chenille-437757.jpg

.......it is wrapped the same as chenille and you make sure the flash fibers are all laying back as you wrap. Has a similar look as hackle does, but flashy.

Here are some examples of what it looks like used in fly tying - Palmer Chenille Google Images

JUNGLEJIM1 said:
.....option that would add some flash is palmer chenille wrapped in at the collar instead of the hackle.......

Pop

AtticaFish said:
Pop - I believe JungleJim is referring to a product from Wapsi that is called Palmer Chenille. Looks like this.....

Palmer-Chenille-437757.jpg

.......it is wrapped the same as chenille and you make sure the flash fibers are all laying back as you wrap. Has a similar look as hackle does, but flashy.

Here are some examples of what it looks like used in fly tying - Palmer Chenille Google Images

JUNGLEJIM1 said:
.....option that would add some flash is palmer chenille wrapped in at the collar instead of the hackle.......

Attica Fish, thank you. Wish I had some of the talent to do those flies. These days I seem to be seeing eye lash yarn in a lot of material. Is that chenille the same as eyelash yarn? Thanks again

Back