Why jig makers should go to fly fishing shows even if they don't tie flies

Shoemoo

There's a fly fishing show in Boise every January, and I can always find some great deals on material in the bargain bins. I really hit a home run this year, though...

One vendor had a shoebox bin full of Estaz Metallique, the stuff I use to make the crappie and smallmouth killer sparkly black. It normally sells at $4+ for a 2 yard package. This guy had everything in the bin marked for a dollar. I bought every pack of black in the bin, along with some root beer, chartreuse and silver.

Do you go to fly shows? What's the best deal you've gotten?

Pepop

Stacy, I only WISH we had Fly Fishing/Tying shows in this area but we don't. I would've been thrilled to find a deal like that on Estaz!! If you ever run into that kind of bargain again and maybe there's colors you just don't think you'll use, keep me in mind. I'd sure be willing to buy your surplus and at that kind of price, gladly pay shipping and a tip for your trouble!

Pup

Great reminder. Next year, I will. Indy has a very good one. Many tying demos. Great opportunity to jump in feet first and discuss techniques with others. Material bargains may be an added plus.

QPassage

I've been to the one here in Louisville. Small but fun. Hey Pup, I might slide up next time to that Indy show, when is it? I do the sport and boat show every other year it would be awesome i it were at the same time.

LedHed

Sponsor
Fantastic deal!

We use to get one but this year they skipped SoCal. Some of the local clubs have small ones. I like to go for the fly tying demonstrations.

Last year got a bunch of Tiemco bobbins (really awesome deal) from a tyer.

hookup

In the mid-Atlantic region, we have allot of fishing shows that sell anything from a $40,000 jet boat down to a dollar pack of hooks.

Deals are to be had, but you have to pick through allot of inventory to find them.

I found DoIt molds for $5 a piece, hooks for $1 a bag, and best deal out was Yamamoto grubs for $0.50 a pack. Bought everything they had for that price.

Fatman

Show in January here in Vermont - got hackle, thread and some fur pieces. The trapping group had a lot of nice skins but prices were high, keeping touch with them so if they tan any skins up that they might consider damaged and maybe get them cheaper. Years past I've gotten full capes and saddles for $8.

Really want to get to the International Show in New Jersey
http://www.internationalflytyingsymposium.com/index.html

There's also one called the Fly Fishing Show, that a few buddies have gone to.

Back