Whip vs. Hitch

AtticaFish

Administrator
Staff member
I started whip finishing by hand shortly after i bought (and broke) a whip finish tool. For years i had used the simple hitch - alternating the direction each time - making 6 knots. Have never had much trouble with the hitch knots coming un-done as long as i alternate them, but...... after i learned to whip finish, i did nothing but whip knots for a year or more. Recently i have been falling back to the hitch, it seems to be more compact and easier to hide under chenille if i try not to show thread at all up near the head of a jig. If i am doing a thread neck or full thread body, i still use the hand whip.

Just wondering... how does everyone make their finish knots?

crappiecripplerjigs

I have a whip finish tool but it intimidates me and I am scared to use it! I do the hitches 3X and good old Sally Hanson. Never had any complaints.

toadfrog

Just do the hitch. Production effective. All those fancy tools are just to show off with. Its kind off like learning to diagram a sentence in school . What the hell for. I've never been asked to diagrahm a sentence on a job app. And never had a customer ask if I whip finish or half hitch.

ScottV

The way I learned was by watching a YouTube video a hundred times learning the whip finish tool. LOL So I've just stuck with it. I use 4 whips and a drop of head cement.

jjsjigs

Banned
I'm totally hooked (no pun intended) on the Mattarelli whip finisher... I used a hand whip finish for years but the finisher tool lets me get very precise on my thread placement.

hhawkins

I learned with a whip finisher. When I started out a couple of months ago, I was using my fingers, or my case, I was all thumbs. I do like using that finisher.

cadman

I mostly tie bigger jigs with weedguards. So I foud the easiest tie off is a whip finish by hand. When I'm done with the last whip I use the whip tool to locate my final thread. I tried the whip finishing tool over the weedguards but it is too cumbersome.

Ron Don

Future Sponsor
By hand for me. I usually have so much crap out on my desk that taking the extra few seconds to find the whipper just aggravates me!

papaperch

I prefer the whip finish also. The materelli style is the one to work with. Any other style and all of a sudden I am ALL thumbs.

StumpHunter

I use the whip finish too. I put 4 whips on small heads and 5 on the 1/8 and up jigs. I put the head cement all the way around the whip finish knot. May not need to use as much cement but I have just got use to doing it.

JUNGLEJIM1

I've never finished with anything but the hitch,4-5 of them.It worked for me 15 years ago when I first started and have seen no reason to change. Half hitch tools will be all I ever use.

AtticaFish

Administrator
Staff member
Interesting to see alot of different answers. I kinda wondered if i was the only one who still using the hitch. Learning the whip finish was a pain and took me awhile with the tool i had. As soon as i broke it, i FORCED myself to figure it out by hand.

JJ1 - I never knew there was even a tool to make half hitches... have to look and see what they are.

skeetbum

I was shown how by an associate at bps knoxville before I ever tied the first jig. He used a Matarelli whip finisher and when I asked him to show me again he stood up and handed me the tool and worked with me til I had it right. He tied the ugliest jig that I'd ever seen but he showed me technique all the way thru. His time was worth many dollars and he would accept nothing for it. This was the main reason that I hit the ground running when I finally tied my first. However I haven't a clue how to finish without the tool so I aint all that smart. And Hays, I'm attacked by the thumb beast now and then myself.

Lost Pole

skeetbum said:
However I haven't a clue how to finish without the tool so I aint all that smart.

You probably do and don't know it. I think you're smarter if you can do it with the the tool.. I can do it both ways, but not sure either are right, and neither prob are :D! I can do the "hitch" handed faster but my thread placement sucks compared to when I use the whip tool, but I take forever to start with the finisher b/c my thread forever slips the cradle notch. Neither has come unraveled yet and both'll catch fish the same.
The starter tying kit I was given came with a DVD that I haven't seen advertised around as for individual sale (although I haven't looked), and I have access to a dvd burner, third person. If anyone wants a copy I'd be more than willing to copy it for them when time allows.

Adam

Back