While Jig Fishing ?

Radtexan

Whats the strangest thing you have caught ????

One of our TFF'ers this week landed a ShareLunker Bass...... 13 + pounds while crappie fishing...

Ive had a couple decent channel cats,few big yellow's,one GIANT snapping turtle(wish I had a pic of that one) that liked a road runner...

I havent showed this pic before,but you never know what might hit a jig.... :reeling:...
15_24.jpg

And no, Im not going to show you the big Drum.......:p

LedHed

Sponsor
Not strange but this year we caught and lost a lot of catfish fishing for Bluegill. Not just small ones either and they were all caught on 2lb test.

Fatman

Rad

Jigs catch fish, the Air Force puts them in survival kits. That is a hugh gar!!!! Had to have been fun on a jig. My two biggest while crappie fishing were a 31 lb. carp, and an 11 1/2 lb. channel cat, UL with 6lb line they were alot of fun and the channel was yummy!!!!!!

toadfrog

I hate them freak'in gar . We have them 6 and 8 feet long . Some folks eat them here . To me its like having a mouth full of lard . There are some gar lures made from filiment rope combed out . No hook . It just tangles in those teeth so you can haul him in . The fight they put up is wicked . If you have any spoon bill they will slurp up a 1/64 jig now and then . Usually chart.

bombora

That's an amazing, scary fish!!! We have nothing like that here!
Hey toad I was surfing down the Mexican Pacific coast and went out in a little panga (glorified canoe) trolling for sailfish. The Mexican guy I was with, while smoking a ciggie over the open 44 gallon drum of fuel next to him (!!!!), gave us a trolling lure with exactly the same principle; no hook just teased out skirt of rope behind a resin trolling head. Saillfish's bill is apparently covered in tiny hooks and when it swipes at the lure the skirt just sticks, exactly like velcro. Foolproof. Cannot be unstuck. Never let go in 20 years of fishing, says Mexican fella. I am the only person in history to lose a sailfish "hooked" on this lure.

toadfrog

bombora said:
That's an amazing, scary fish!!! We have nothing like that here!
Hey toad I was surfing down the Mexican Pacific coast and went out in a little panga (glorified canoe) trolling for sailfish. The Mexican guy I was with, while smoking a ciggie over the open 44 gallon drum of fuel next to him (!!!!), gave us a trolling lure with exactly the same principle; no hook just teased out skirt of rope behind a resin trolling head. Saillfish's bill is apparently covered in tiny hooks and when it swipes at the lure the skirt just sticks, exactly like velcro. Foolproof. Cannot be unstuck. Never let go in 20 years of fishing, says Mexican fella. I am the only person in history to lose a sailfish "hooked" on this lure.
Some of the inland waters have worse than that gar . Snapping turtles going hundreds of pounds with heads big as a 5 gallon bucket . Don't normally get those out by normal means . Can't think of a reason why you would want to anyway. They stink like sin and can take a bite out of you the size of a ham .

deathb4disco

I got a 6-7# grass carp on a 1/64 oz trout magnet. I had no idea what it was until I got it to the surface (which was not easy, I might add.) :)

Radtexan

Ron Don said:
What a gar! I bet the line was singing! Question... was he alive for the pic???

Good question.
My bud that I was with is a Gar Hater...He does alot of catfishing,and these things cause him lots of trouble..He disposes of all, that he accidentally catches and tried to take control of my girl...He didnt speak to me for a while after I turned her loose... :dodgy:

And Toad is correct,at least for alligator gar,a rope frizzed out is a great lure for em,in fact I have caught one on a marker bouy line :head_scratch:

Back