Which jig heads for tying?

dmm26

Just wondering what everyone uses for jig heads when tying their jigs?

Homemade?
Store bought?

Collar?
No collar?

I think I'd like to get some jig heads that have no collar. Seems like you have more room on em when creating a jig.

Only ones I can find around here have the collar with bait keeper.

Suggestions/thoughts?

Bucko

No collar for sure. Either pour your own or buy them. Lots of people pour here and would probably sell you some. I would but my full-time job has been really getting in the way of everything else.

dmm26

I'm looking at tying some 1/8 oz walleye jigs.
I was gonna buy some but it's $36 for 40!!

And I don't know anyone that pours.

If anyone that does pour, would want to make me some jigs, that would be much appreciated.
Please pm me.

Pesky jobs! Always getting in the way of fun Stuff!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Kdog

Although I cast my own, you can find some really good deals through online vendors
Depending on what I am tying collar or no collar and sometimes will tie same jig both ways to see which I like best.

Bait keeper is easily filed off or more simply squished flush with a pair of pliers.

Jig heads at 10 - 12 bucks a hundred seems to be a going rate although I still see specials at 8/100 including shipping. I figure I am around a nickle a head to make my own but time and tools and inventory of hooks adds up quickly and I often wonder if I would be better off buying heads already cast.

I cast because I can be sure of my hooks and like the versatility of being able to use other than standard hook sizes.

JUNGLEJIM1

That's high for 40 jigs, even if they are painted. Any particular 1/8 walleye jig? There are quite a few that pour jigs on Jigcraft, myself included. Are you looking for painted jigs, unpainted, with or without collars? I can help you out if you can give me a better idea of what you are looking for.

Pup

dmm26 said:
I think I'd like to get some jig heads that have no collar. Seems like you have more room on em when creating a jig.

Only ones I can find around here have the collar with bait keeper.

Suggestions/thoughts?

If using an unpainted jig head...

You can always remove the collar with a pair of side-cutting pliers. I actually prefer to tie hair onto collared jig heads with just a single layer of thread as the base, rather than wrapping multiple layers of thread along the hook shank to build a base. The lead barb on the collar gets clipped with a flush cutter or toenail nipper and then filed smooth with a sapphire/Emeryl file.

Next, you can paint the jig head or tie with it as is.

Fatman

I pour my own and use the hooks I like in them, a couple that I don't have molds of I trade for.

For tying I like no collar unless I get into doing some larger bucktail's then I want a ball collar to have the hair flair out.

Bunch of people here pour - you can look in the swap meet section for buy/sell/trade and post what you're looking for. When looking to buy jigs let them know size/head shape, hook size, hook color, collar/no collar.

$36 for 40 jigs is just crazy!!

Kdog

Fatman said:
I pour my own and use the hooks I like in them, a couple that I don't have molds of I trade for.

For tying I like no collar unless I get into doing some larger bucktail's then I want a ball collar to have the hair flair out.

Bunch of people here pour - you can look in the swap meet section for buy/sell/trade and post what you're looking for. When looking to buy jigs let them know size/head shape, hook size, hook color, collar/no collar.

$36 for 40 jigs is just crazy!!

Yes crazy unless they got Gamakatsu hooks

AtticaFish

Administrator
Staff member
Buy/trade for mine. Majority come from members here but some come from Jann's Netcraft also. I go by a couple ideas when getting jigs......

-What fish you 'think' you will catch on them -
Heavier wire hooks in bass and walleye jigs. Crappie jigs can use larger size, but thinner wire hooks. Bluegill/perch jigs i like to use small hooks but i personally prefer heavier hooks for them since i use pliers/forceps a lot for deep hooked fish and don't want to break the hooks.

- Where & how you will fish them -
The heavier the head means you can cast farther and also get deeper. But that also means you may have them getting hung up in weeds/rocks. Flat bottom shaped jigs can help glide up and stay out of bottom snags. Flat sided jigs will cut through the water easier and go deep easily in current. I personally also like using jigs that have the hook eye a little angled to the front since the majority of my fishing is done by casting and not all that much sitting in a boat and fishing straight down.

- What you plan to tie on them or what type of plastic trailer -
Again, a lot of this is simply my own preferences. Jigs with tied bodies (w.buggers, chenille wraped, dubbing bodies) use jigs that have no lead collar and everything is tied right on the hook shank. Bucktail, kiptail, craftfur and most thread neck jigs i like to tie with a lead collar on the jig. Either cut off or flatten the lead barb, can also use ball collar barbs as others have mentioned. Plastic trailers can be hard to choose a good keeper style to not tear up the bait.... so far i like the wire keepers or spring shaped the best.

OR..... Since you are most likely going to loose a bunch of them and need more anyway, get simple ball heads in the weight and hook sizes that will get you by. They will catch fish if you know where the fish are. K.I.S.S. (keep it simple stupid) ;) But what fun is that?!!

Jig Man

Crazy Angler has a good selection for a good price. I use some of his stuff, and some others from a coon-azz on here.:D He got some net stuff, but he is buzzzzzzy! Either one of um are great men to deal with!!! :icon14: Shipping to Canada could be a problem

Back