Which hooks for Do-It-Mold

Bucho

Hi everybody,

As some of you know I´m a bit behind with Jiggin` materials over here in Germany. I´ve just ordered 2 do-It molds on e-bay. Now I would like to place a bulk order of hooks, but since I have no experience with do-its and the shippping is long and costly, I´d like to ask for a piece of advice.

These are the molds
http://www.ebay.de/itm/251229809699?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1423.l2649
#1052 Banana

http://www.ebay.de/itm/370774779938?ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1497.l2649
#3031 Shad Dart

I was thinking of Matzuo black nickel, as I fish light tackel in the salt. Need both good penetration and at least some degree of corrosion resistance.
A long shank alternative would be nice, too, for the long-bodied patterns I bear in mind.
The numbers on the mold don´t quite translate to me. Would like ot know what my options are. I am mostly concerned of the hookeye-shaft distance, while I have no problems with drilling out some extra space for the hookpoint if needed.
The only hook readyly available over here is the VMC
http://angelshop.gummitanke.de/VMC-Jighaken

anyone kows how they fit in? Would save me a lot of trouble!

LedHed

Sponsor
The VMC will work (use to be a really good hook). Mustad & Gamakatsu BLNs are another good hook for saltwater. Eagle Claw makes a long shank hook.

hookup

Any hook will fit into any mold with a dremel and a carbite bit.

I use allot of Mitzuo hooks, and even mold but one has needed a slight tweek with the dremel. Mitzuo hooks eyes tend to be further from the shaft of the hook as other manufacturer's.

VMC's are great hooks.

What are you fishing for in Germany?

Fatman

Most all of them will fit but you're talking saltwater and I'm not sure on the regular Matzuo's if they're saltwater protected. My last order of Matzuo's every one fit perfectly in the molds. The bananna you bought is for aberdeen hooks not the heavier O'shanunessy hooks.

If you went with saltwater hooks you'd have to enlarge the shank groove but have to be REALLY careful with the eyelet slot, too much on the edge where the eyelet goes and you'd have an eyelet full of lead.

I read on Bass Boat Central tackle craft section a long time ago where someone put the heavier salt water hooks in the mold, put a piece of 2x4 over the top of it and hit with a small sledge to groove it for heavier hooks but I don't know if it would work. If anyone knows about this please post up!!!!

Bucho

If you say that most thin-wired hooks will fit, that´s all I needet to hear. I like thin wire, just have to watch for the right material. The black nickel VMC works fine for me, a little rinse after use is all it takes to keep them healthy". The Matzuo bronze however rusts after just few hours in the salt, and that I cannot tolerate if I want to give them away.

@hookup: Take the great lakes, add a 1-2% salinity, replace the walleye with cod and all the salmon/trout with just the browns, and you`re just about there. There´s flatfish, too, which I´ll give a shot at this summer with light tackle. Plaice, flounder, turbot, tasty stuff. Then there`s the Kiel canal with very little salt at both ends, freshwater in the middle, browns, rainbows and a lot of zander(european walleye). Third water is a lake system, yet new to me, with northern pike, yellow perch, again browns (a must :)) and even a chance at wels catfish, which I am very excited about. Same for the sea bass on the west coast, haven´t got a chance at it yet but this year... Aaah, and mackerel in the summer. Rather large individuals. In shallow clear water, on UL tackle, they`re surprisingly demanding sports fish - not just bait. However, commercial fishing pressure is very high and 90% of my catch in the "salt" is 6lbs or less, unfortunately.

Jig fishing here is 99% bottom-bouncing rather big plastics at zander, perch, cod and pike, so I have problems finding hooks smaller than #1 in the first place. Crude paintjobs on the heads, if any at all, as people use big plastics in often stained water and loose a lot of them.

hookup

So you're in the northern part of Germany. Some nice water up there. Never fished up there, but have tasted the herring, macheral, and cod in the local restaurants.

My family came from Ashaffenburg. Dad was in the Army, so we lived in Germany for 11 years. Fished the Schwartzwald allot along with allot of small streams in Bavaria for trout.

Capt Hook's a great place for hooks, but don't miss out on checking out Barlow's and Jann's tackle shops.

If you ever need anything in America, let us know.

Tight lines & prost.

Bucho

Thanks, same to you!

have you done any jigging down there?

Actually, stainless beads, propeller- and spinner blades would be something... I´ll check those shops first.

Hawnjigs

KISS
Did you know that your Do-it Banana Jig mold has an identical heavy wire JYS version? No matter, you can always enlarge the hook eye slots and maybe shank channels for heavy wires if you want. I just purchased the same combo Shad Dart mold as you and will be modifying to fit Mustad 32833 hooks. Practically all of my personal use fresh and salt water jigs are now heavy wire hooked. Never tried em, but those VMC Barbarians have a rep for strength.

BTW, thanks for describing your area species opportunities.

Bucho

Thanks for all the good advice! However, its funny how everybody turns "thick-wired" at the word salt. A typical catch from the baltic is 2-5 lbs. In 20 years of inshore spin- and flyfishing, I haven´t caught a single fish of more than 10lbs, and I humbly consider myself to know what I`m doing. Semi-commercial net-fishing pressure here is outraged.
In my world, double-digit fish are being caught in the fresh, such as this wels catfish. The guy spottet the fish while pike-fishing, "adressed" it by dashing the largest goat-hair streamer in his arsenal right into its face for about 20 min, and somehow managed to land it. The fish lived, the #9 flyrod, line etc. didn´t... they measured 89" and estimatet it at 185lbs.
http://www.leidenschaft-meerforelle.de/forum/viewtopic.php?f=46&t=11626

I might have to deal with one or two smaller specimen this summer, which still have a very hard mouth and a tendency to break hookpoints. Hence the need for sickles.

Back