which feathers

preacherman

Hi guys and gals I am new to this art and have a ? about what makes the best feathers for crappie jigs? I am using saltwater neck hackle right now and cutting them in v shape sections but am trying to find some feathers a little bit larger and longer. Any suggestions greatly appreciated .

Fatman

Depending on size of your jigs the hackle tip v's make a nice tail and tied in long make a nice jig.
100_7031_1.jpg

If you hunt Mallard, Gadwall, woodduck and teal flank feathers make really nice jigs and are easy to dye. You'll want to hold onto the lemon barred wood duck flank feathers they're good for tying Catskill style dry flies or trade them to someone who does.
100_6093.jpg

100_6089.jpg

lemon2.jpg

Have a bunch of folks sending me the feathers every year and already asked if I wanted more.

Furs are a whole other story.

Jig Man

I use marabou, but don't over look arctic fox. It has great action and is tough...

And welcome to JigCraft, great bunch here!

AllenOK

I'll second the Artic Fox!

Earlier this year, I bought a few colors of U2 Arctic Fox through Feathercraft. It was just a little bit of hide/fur for the price, but I haven't really been using it much. This Spring, I'm planning on buying a whole white Arctic Fox tail so I can cut small slivers off and dye it myself.

Back