When to clear?

walleyetracker85

Hey guys just wondering when you need to put a clear coat on? I will mostly be using pro tec powder paint. Their candy colors, and glitter colors need a clear coat correct? When else should you add a clear coat? Thanks for the help guys!

CrappieHappy

I don't believe their candy, or glitter colors need a clear coat. some people will clear over a matte color is they want more sheen to it. I use clear to add depth, mix micas/glitter to topcoat, I also top coat my custom tapped painted heads with clear.etc.

walleyetracker85

Thanks for the reply. Sorry I'm brand new to tackle making. What is a matte color? And what do you mean by a tapped jig? Sorry for the dumb questions, but I'm just in the learning process! Thanks again!

Jig Man

I will also coat chart. and some pinks with clear to keep them from running and fading when I glue on eyes with sallies...

plateboater

I run two TJ 3" pucks.....one with color and dip next into Rosey 200% clear for everything. I did pick up last year a clear coating and then tapping candy colors over the top from Attica. Turn out sweet.

Attica is the man on tapping. If you starting tapping I like mica from Hobby Lobby. But all kinds of material to tap with.....I bake for 350 15 mins. When completed the tie I dab a little Krazy Glue for the eye. I Sally all heads before calling jig done.

Pup

Add a clear topcoat to protect jig eyes that'll be banged against hard stuff. Thirty-minute Devcon 2 Ton Epoxy works well. If you're quick, 5-minute epoxies work well too. Let the 5-minute cure overnight and give the Devcon 24 hours. Both require mixing which takes a little bit of time and effort.

Triple Thick Gloss Glaze protects, but not as well as a good epoxy. However, it's just a quick dip to apply and then let it dry overnight.

You'll like the depth that these topcoats will add to your jig heads. Really makes them 'pop' as they say...

walleyetracker85

Thanks for the help so far guys. I have some jacquard pearl ex powder pigments. Would these be considered a mica? What exactly are the mica's your referring to? Thanks again

Lost Pole

walleyetracker85 said:
Thanks for the help so far guys. I have some jacquard pearl ex powder pigments. Would these be considered a mica? What exactly are the mica's your referring to? Thanks again

Dunno what they're considered but you can add any of the pearl ex stuff to clear and make a powder. Ya get the macro pearl?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Back