What you think

00buck

Caught this today in a local pond on a swim bait what you think it weighs will measure length tomorrow I made a mark on my rod with a marker

Attachments

• uploadfromtaptalk1403406559325.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1403406559325.jpg
    142.3 KB · Views: 63

StumpHunter

I would say about the same as Jig Man because the fish looks skinny. May need to catch some small bream and put them in that pond. Or buy a few pounds of minnows and put in there.

Kdog

I'm going to say pound and a half and not quite 14". Very skinny, did you pull it off a nest?

Pup

Isn't that a smallmouth bass? I won't guess its length and weight, but if it is indeed a smallmouth, it would be a nice one from any of the rivers in my area. Its body shape is typical of the riverine smallmouth bass I've caught. What seems unusual to me is that this fish was caught from a pond.

Is the pond spring fed?

00buck

Pup said:
Isn't that a smallmouth bass? I won't guess its length and weight, but if it is indeed a smallmouth, it would be a nice one from any of the rivers in my area. Its body shape is typical of the riverine smallmouth bass I've caught. What seems unusual to me is that this fish was caught from a pond.

Is the pond spring fed?
Yes it is a spring fed pond and it is a small mouth

JUNGLEJIM1

I'm with pup, believe it's a smallmouth that someone caught and put in the pond. Conditions haven't been right for a smallie in the pond because it is skinny. Think it's close to 17 inches and would weigh close to 2lbs.

00buck

I am sure someone put it there farmer said he only has had pond there for the 15 years and his son stocked it with whatever he could and there is 15" from bottom of rod to the top of the cork above the reel

AtticaFish

Administrator
Staff member
That is a long and lean fish. Tried to stock a smallie into my parents pond many years back and ended up finding it floating one day later in the middle of summer........ looked super skinny same as that fish.

For a length estimate......... always hard to tell adjusting for camera angles if it is not laid down flat on something. Hard to tell if the tail is even with the butt, or just above it. If you are saying 15" from the butt to the top of the cork, that fish could be very close to a Fish Ohio 20"er.

Bucko

looking arty this pic earlier I kinda figured 18.5" so I guess I was close. I would say as skinny as it is probably 2.5 pounds? now if that was a healthy fish your in the neighborhood of 4 pounds give or take. smallies need current or at least access to cooler water and a farm pond isn't likely habitat for them. if he wants to stock fish he'd be better off with crappie, gills, largemouth, channel cats, stuff like that. those fish can take the warmer water better than smallies. 20 pounds of fatheads would be good to try and establish a food source for the remaining fish in the pond, depending on the size of the pond of course. nice catch nonetheless though!

Back