What type of paints do you use?

crappiecripplerjigs

Just curious what types of paints you all use for jigheads. I have used powder paint for years. Tried acrylics but took too long to dry. Would like to try the nail polish colors. My daughter has some cool jig colors in polish. Don't agree with putting them on her fingers, but a jighead might be okay. Does a white base need to be applied before using the polish? I would assume drying time to be fairly fast..??

Pup

I use nail polish quite often. It dries very quickly. Use a white base coat of acrylic paint beneath all but very dark or metallic colors. When the polish is finished drying, I top coat it with polyurethane or epoxy.

AtticaFish

Administrator
Staff member
Yeah, there is lotsa purty colors, i'd rather you let your daughter put it on her nails than you on yours!!! :p When my young daughter wants her nails painted, she comes to me to see what colors i have..... odd feeling. :D

Anyway, i use pretty much only NP. Some of it dries quicker than others, ends up being trial/error. If you put on a thick coat, it will take much longer to dry. I do use white first on all lighter colors, with darks, no need to. Have always coated (sometimes 2 coats) with clear np over top the color. I will say - it does not hold up (the way i do it) nearly as well as powder paint when fished bouncing off of rocks - it will chip off eventually.

I will have to try the epoxy top coat pup mentioned, would guess that would hold up longer.....

Jubs

For jig heads I mostly use powder paint, I have used nail polish on ice jigs before I figured out how to heat them without melting the solder lol. Wet paint and me don't get along I always make a mess on something with it so I try to avoid it.

cadman

I used to use nail polish but I couldn't do multicolor blending so now I only use powder paint.

LedHed

Sponsor
I use FP - mostly for ultra lite - lots of clear for sealing thread or covering eyes. PP for everything else.

Capt_Rodney

I use powder paints I have over 100 colors right now. I like to be able to custom blend add glitters ect.

StumpHunter

Do y'all use 'any' nail polish or a certain brand. I order most of my jigs with the color on them but the NP is something I would like to try.

Pup

StumpHunter said:
Do y'all use 'any' nail polish or a certain brand. I order most of my jigs with the color on them but the NP is something I would like to try.

I stay away from the "no name" brands and their multi-bottle packages found in discount or dollar stores.

I have my favorites. These include:
  • Any Revlon product.
  • Most Rimmel products.
  • Most Maybelline products, but especially their Express Finish.
  • Nearly all Sally Hansen's Hard As Nails.
  • Wet-N-Wild is pretty good and inexpensive. The manufacturer offered a variety pack (5 or more bottles) with good fisherman colors included at my local Garden Ridge store a while back.

Also, I've found Cover Girl's Boundless Color to provide a good glitter topcoat for jigs.

Generally, I think that you'll find dark colors (black, brown, etc.) can be applied without any base coat. Light or "candy" colors often require a white base coat, in my experience, to look good. For those, I use acrylic paint for the base.

Pup

Doc Crappie said:
Pup

You are beginning to worry me here for if you start talking about dress sizes next it will leave me no choice but to wonder about you..... if you know what I mean... :)

Doc,

No need to worry about me. I haven't any desire to paint jigs using nail polish while wearing a dress.

Also, I'm very secure about myself and my professionalism on internet message boards...if you know what I mean. :)

AtticaFish

Administrator
Staff member
Yes, i have more colors than my wife. :p Revlon is good, but is pretty expensive. If you find some of the shimmery looking stuff, they can be thinly painted over a base coat of another color and turn out really cool. I have one (Pure Ice - Mint Dream) that when painted over a dark blue or black, it has an iradecent green color very similar to the color of an emerald shiner. Looks good also painted over silver. Same idea applies to just about any glitter NP.

Back