What size and style blade do you prefer?

goodtimesfishing

I am curious what blade everyone prefers on pony/horse head jigs? Colorado, willow, indiana, ect. How about color?What size blade goes with what size head??? And while I am at it, how about the split ring size? Atleast I do know that the crane swivel is a size 12.

Jig Man

Blade: I'm mot particular about the style, but I do like chrome...
1/8 oz I like 0
1/16 oz and 1/32oz 0 or 00
Split ring: 0

Much larger and they get in the way.. JMO

Fatman

#12 Crane Swivel, Size 0 split ring or Size 0 Butt ring (some folks are using them), for blade size size 0 or 1 -in any style. I've even tried larger but you have to watch that it doesn't affect the action. You can also look at the DO-It Catalouge and it will give you the basics for blades, swivels etc when you look up the pony/horse head molds.

ScottV

On pony heads I'll go with a size 1 willow leaf blade, and that's on a 1/8 oz pony head. I've seen where a size 1 Colorado blade would hit the rubber body and not spin sometimes. I was getting line twist sometimes while long lining and that is what was happening. The Colorado blade was hitting the body and acting like a rudder.

Fatman

Depending on what materials you tie on you have to watch the blade you use also. The teardrop shape of the colorado blade is nice and they work good but that fat bottom as you say does get in the way sometimes!!!

Back