What makes an effective jig

Jungleboy

My first way of thinking when I decided i wanted to start tieing my own jigs was that I needed to hide or bury the hook with hair and feathers in order for it to be effective . It needed to undulate in the water like something alive and that would be a sure fire recipe for success. as I watch other jig tiers on this forum I am not so sure . Most of the jigs I see pictured are quite minimal . The Idea of hiding or disguising the hook seems of little importance. So i am asking , what does make a jig effective ? Is hiding the hook not important or are guys adding minnows or worms as a secondary attractor?

There are way more knowledgable guys here than me, but here is what I know works for me. This is for crappies here in Central Texas. First off hiding the hook is not necessary, second and most important for me is size and profile of my jigs. A good cold front comes through and I downsize to 1/64 and sometimes 1/80 oz jigs. I have found the weight is not so much the issue as the small profile of the jig and always use hackle for the tails there again small profile, and use a 0 chenille. Now when the water warms and the front has passed I use 1/32 and 1/16 oz jigs still with hackle tails. Come spring and the crappies move up shallow to spawn I go to 1/16 and 1/8 with hackle or maribou tails- they like a bigger profile in the warmer water. Like I said I'm no expert, but this is what works for me.

jiggerjohn

Only a fish knows what makes a jig effective under any given conditions! It sure is NOT the visibility (or lack of) of the hook ; even a "wise" ole lunker( IQ -about -3 !) can't tell the differance between a hook or a grasshopper! (in fact I knew one expert, record catching brown trout genius who caught tons of stocker rainbow trout on his own "whoopie fly" -these were merely no. 10 bright gold hooks ,no dressing at all!). I often tease Keith at Hawnjigs by telling him that it's ONLY his shiny tin jigheads and nifty hook shapes that attract fish , my crappy tying (pun intended!) merely keeps ME amused & busy! However, I find a quivering, but natural (not too wild) action readily pulls fish in ,plus flash, minnow shape, and a robust feel to the lure that fish will hang on to ; from over 50 years of jigging I'm presently of the mind to believe that the wool&satin jig combos are ideal n presenting all these attributes!

hookup

Not meaning to be sarcastic, but what makes an effective jig is one that catches fish.

I usually copy patterns of guys who tieds years ago, but have long since retired - and you know what? those patterns still catch fish.

papaperch

Only thing I would add. when you are trying a particular style or type of jig. Make sure you are on fish. In other words make sure fish are in the area you are fishing. I can hardly believe the conclusions fishermen come up with on any given day.

One thing and the only thing I know for sure about fishing. IF the fish aren't there there is no way you are going to get bites. Regardless what some of these infommercial lure hawkers show on tv.

Next to come into the equation is depth and speed of lure or bait. Almost all gamefish look upwards when actively feeding. So its preferable to fish slightly above suspended fish. For instance in 20 foot of water but suspended have way down at 10. If your lure is at 8 foot you will probably see some action. At 12 foot you will probably be ignored.

Finally is it at the right speed. This will have to do with how active the fish are, type of prey they are feeding upon and frontal conditions.

As far as all the other stuff goes material , color , action and all the other stuff us fishermen worry and debate over. If the three conditions I stated aren't met you might as well have a brick on your hook. If you are in the right spot right depth and right speed it will almost be impossible NOT to catch something .

To tell you how idiotic it can be. Once was by a bridge and the FF showed the fish were hugging the bottom in about 18' of water. I was using a slip bobber and needed to set the depth. Easiest way to do it is attach a 1/2 casting sinker to hook s it will sink bobber. Then adjust knot until bobber is 10-12 inches under surface. I got the right depth and I went to reel up and take sinker off and bait on. I felt a fish smack it. Set the hook and up came a rather nice crappie. If the sinker was shiny and new I might have been able to understand it But it was rather old and as a dull gray as it could get. Almost any jig caught fish that day.

Lost Pole

I'm not a great jig tyer by any means but I consider myself above average at sac catching. With that said I say presentation 1st, bait waaaaaaaay second. I don't like sweets, but catch me after an hour nap breathing through my mouth and see if there's a nutty buddy left in the house.

Jay Wirth

I suspect that the majority of jigs with exposed hooks usually have something to tip it with. I tie a jig used in my area for ice fishing - tip with mousie or minnow head. Guyes in FL call and order the same jig for crappie but ask for a longer hook to tip with a minnow. Overall I dont think there is a need for super hairy jigs, look at streamers and fly fishing lures. These are no meat added and the hooks are visible. The results are all about the material tied onto the hook.

plateboater

2nd JiggerJohn......maybe add some gulp to the backside of the wool/satin!! Game changer

Jungleboy

Great info here ,thanks. I think I need to go the " less is more" route now. It is difficult to avoid the temptation to put too much on though. The Idea is to catch fish though, not make a wall hanging right?

Lost Pole

Jungleboy said:
Great info here ,thanks. I think I need to go the " less is more" route now. It is difficult to avoid the temptation to put too much on though. The Idea is to catch fish though, not make a wall hanging right?

Depends on who is tying that you ask.

Fish n tie for you.

Pup

Jungleboy said:
So i am asking , what does make a jig effective ?

In my opinion, it's an effective fisherman. One who understands the biology of the fish sought and their environment.

StumpHunter

In my opinion, it's an effective fisherman. One who understands the biology of the fish sought and their environment.
[/quote]

Very true statement! You spend time over the years improving your skills to catch fish on the waters you fish. What works in one part of the US may not in another.

jiggerjohn

I might mention that SHARPNESS of hook is a very big factor in a successful jig! Research and my own observations always amazes me as to the huge number of hits and positive in-the-mouth gulps that we anglers get during virtually EVERY day out, that we are never even aware of! We jiggers have an advantage in our natural lifting motion to sting ,by shear great hook points, a number of these finny phantoms! I prefer VMCs and sickles on my woolies/boolies and in small,better penetrating sizes! I once penned an article who's theme was "if ya feel a fish hit a jig, you're half way TOO LATE to set properly" (what we often feel in that "tick" is the lure being rejected!).

Some here,have mentioned structure, which,of course, is fundamental to jigging or any successful fishing. As pal, Red Denmark, mentions "when fish are on structure and very active, even a clothespin with a hook will score! But that activity &frenzy doesn't happen very often -so I've trial-n-erred my way into proper lure components such that if I don't get fish on a point,bar, or weedbed within a few minutes,they're simply not there, and I move! Anything will work when they're biting, but my jigs work ALL THE TIME !"

Years ago I had many face-to-face talks with legendary Buck Perry, the "father of structure fishing". He often confided that a structure alone was not necessarily the key, but,rather, a tiny difference on that structure that would draw most fish-and sometimes even there,ya have to wait them out for results. Unknown to many, Buck did a LOT of his initial structure research with JIGS, and he showed me several of his own personal designs that were obviously geared to vertical jigging to locate those tiny "spots on a spot" down below. Mr. Perry was of the conviction that skillful work with just the right designed, most functional jig was better than any depth finder for really locating fish!

AtticaFish

Administrator
Staff member
Presentation...... profile....... color. In that order. Don't really think the hook showing has all that much influence.

1 - Presentation: if you are ripping jigs fast and furious, it matters more about the size, aerodynamics, and disturbance the jig creates. For fast ripping presentations, i like using big skirts or spinners blades attached somehow.

2 - Profile: Aside from the hook, i always try to keep slower fish jigs in the shape of the prey i am trying to mimic. Minnows need to be the shape of minnows. Bugs need to be buggy.

3 - Color: My feeling is that color is the very last thing the fish see as they are already committed to biting the jig from the presentation and profile. Color may only matter in super clear or muddy water where it can either look accurate (match the hatch) or gaudy to get attention. Then again, black is always good.

Shoemoo

I don't think fish recognize the hook as a threat. However, they are more intelligent than people give them credit for. Fish ARE capable of learning by experience and repetition. Seriously, people have taught aquarium fish to do tricks like run mazes, ring little bells on a string for food, swim through hoops and push balls into a net.

If the angler catches a fish and takes it home for dinner the fish never has an opportunity to learn. But if the fish is released or comes off the hook, the experience can leave a lasting impression on them in the future. That is where the "hook shy" myth comes from. But fish are looking at the whole lure, not specifically for a hook. That's why changing the lure or changing colors is effective, and why new bass lures experience a lot of initial success. The fish just aren't trained. After they've seen the same lure and been caught a few times, they get waaay more suspicious.

Jighead76

I think I tie to catch fishermen a lot. The only thing better than catching a fish on a handmade jig is giving a few to the guys asking "what you using" and hearing them say dang those are nice looking jigs. No matter what skill anyone is you can always tell a handmade jig over a mass produced jig. It's like comparing a slim Jim to homemade jerky.
Anyway one of my most effective fish catchers is just a single hackle and chinelle but what fun is buying just hackle and chinelle. Lol. I gotta use all that flash that I can't pass up at the store and I enjoy trying different ideas.

Back