What is your favorite jighead?

mitrisin

I have a ballhead jighead mold and a ponyhead jighead mold and am wondering what mold should be my next addition. I tie for myself and friends and tie crappie jigs used primarily for spider rigging and long lining. I don't now whether to go to a minnow head mold or a bullet mold. I use both plastics and hair/feather jigs. Just wanting inputs on some of your favorite jigs.

Fatman

My top 3 are horsehead/pony in 1/16th, ball head in 1/6th, and the redman head in 1/24th - this is starting to be my favorite but I do love the horsehead jigs!!

I have the bullet but its the 1/8 and 1/4th, and I have the minnow head. Having watched shows showing that they're pulling or pushing the jigs I'd vote minnow thinking it would swim better, but alot of the guys are getting the chub mold.

Jig Man

You can't go wrong with the two you have. But for your style of fishing, a chub with a spinner is a good un too...

AtticaFish

Administrator
Staff member
For vertical rigging i would also say to look at the chub style. It has flat areas along the side for eyes if you want but looks fine without as well and they are easy to paint multi-color too.

For cast/retrieve jigs, someone needs to make shroom heads ranging from 1/16 up to 1/4 that will accept eye forward hooks - that'd be my favorite..... if they existed.

smalljaw

It depends, for me using my jigs almost always for bass the round head has been the most versatile but in certain rocky situations I like a football head and after using the walleye head in 1/16 ,3/32, and 1/8oz the way it performs in chunk rock has won me over for hair jigs in cold water.

redman

This is hard to answer. I guess that if you use a lot of plastics then the minnow head with collar and barb would be my next choice. If you want to tie more feather/hair jigs I would go with a chub. Have them like them but I have a lot of molds that I use. Each one for a different type of situations. Go with what you feel what you want and you will be happy. Out of all my molds I have two that I no longer like. Both are 1/2 oz or larger. Don't think that the Crappies like them very much.

Redman

Back