What FW Species Do You Target on Jigs?

Hawnjigs

KISS
My choices based on available opportunity:

For the fight would be hybrid stripers(aka wipers), catfish, & trout, altho trophy size of any species are capable of a tussle on light enuf gear.

For the table would be catfish, crappie, & walleye.

For dependability would be crappie & smallmouth.

For total enjoyment of the experience would be trout in a cool elevation unspoiled area with the option of hiking further in to escape crowds.

AtticaFish

Administrator
Staff member
Smallmouth are at the top for me, and do most of my fishing in a few local rivers where i am usually the only one out wading. Occasionally run into other fisherman, but usually give them (and me) plenty of room to roam. Not huge fish on average, but on UL and 4lb line, they are one of the best fighting and jumping fish.

Largemouth are 2nd for overall fun and the big fat furry jigs can pretty fun to tie. They are a little more available in my area, but i would still rather drive a few more minutes to get into SMB.

I love crappie for the table but i fish mostly upground reservoirs... they are loaded with crappie! Problem is, other than spring spawn, they do not stack up consistently and a "always moving" approach is the easiest way to come home with dinner. Casting cranks (or trolling from my kayak) is about the fastest way to keep moving to find fish. I catch them with jigs no problem, it is just much slower, takes more time.

crappiecripplerjigs

Crappie for the hunt and the table. My area has many strip mines SW MO, SE KS, so the opportunity to catch large bluegill is always within reach and a joy to catch with UL gear. Rivers nearby as well so the smallies are high on the list to catch, but never see the table. Walleye are plentiful around here and taste great with some fried taters and onions with a few garlicy hushpuppies.

cadman

I mainly fish for these species in this order. Largemouth and smallmouth, walleye and sauger, rockbass, musky and northern pike. My wife is my tournament partner and she just loves catching rockbass. There is a lake by us and the biggest she has caught was 11-1/2 ". She's still looking for a 12" rockbass.

flatsrat76

I no longer fish in freshwater but I do like to fish inshore flats. Redfish and Snook are my top two to target. I will also go after Trout/Tarpon/Pompano and Cobia.

Flatsrat76

No Net Needed

Prefer crappie to eat...blue cat or flathead next....but catching with ultralight is fun no matter the species.
DSC00181.jpg

AtticaFish

Administrator
Staff member
No Net - Now that's a mixed bag... 4 or 5 species! :cool: What is the long-skinny fish in the middle row, 3rd in from the right? Also whats the big ones up top... have scales that remind me of carp, but just not the right shape.

BTW - Welcome to the site.

jiggerjohn

No Net -one of the most outstanding catches I've seen lately( I'd take a catch like yours any day over trout or bass!) ;you're 100% right ,ya can't beat ultralight jigging for fun, variety, & productivity! I had a similar morning to yours today, and am still puzzled at the identity of a few I caught!!

JUNGLEJIM1

Attica,the big ones on top are buffalo.The other mystery fish looks like a shad,maybe a trout,I'm unsure of that one myself.

toadfrog

I tend to target ANY THING that won't try to eat me . I got a grin even if the fish is no bigger than the lure He bit .

Radtexan

Target : Crappie
Table Fare:Walley/crappie
Caught on jigs:LMB,SMB,Walley,crappie,drum,channel cat,blue cat,yellow cat,bluegill,redear,gizzard shad,threadfin shad,white bass,striped bass,hybrid bass,rainbow trout,brown trout,long nose gar,goldfish,GIANT snappin turtle, bullfrog,,,,,,might be some others,but thats all that came to mind ;)

Fatman

crappie but don't get to fish for them often enough!!!!! Trout and bass close by. Love smallies and walleye, pike, catfish and gills.

but every fish is fun to catch!!!!!

Back