What do you use ?

ragged edge

Curious to know what type of rod and reel you use to catch crappie? Myself, I prefer a 10' Sam Heaton Super Sensitive with a Hi-Tech bait casting reel from Doc Crappie. Since I jig fish pretty much open water I like the feel of the rod for that certain thump.

crappiecripplerjigs

I use a UL 6 1/2' G. Loomis custom made by my dad. Abu Cardinal reel with 4lb. line. Also 6' St. Croix custom UL with a Abu Cardinal. Awesome action. I did purchase a 14' collapsible rod the last time we went to Reelfoot Lake in TN. Great for brush piles.

crappiecripplerjigs

Now Doc I think you could could catch fish with a ball of twine.:D Nothing wrong with a Wal-Mart Special either. If you go where the fish are, they don't care what brand of rod and reel you use! I for sure would not own a Loomis if it had not been given to me.

crappiecripplerjigs

I prefer an old crank telephone. Much quieter than the TNT method. When you get caught, just tell Mr. Warden you have yet to upgrade your cell phone!:p

JUNGLEJIM1

When I was a kid my go to rod was a Shakepeare wonder rod with a Johnson Century reel and 4lb test. I caught everything with it including by biggest bass,over 8lbs. I still have it and it works,but havn't fished with it in over 20 years.My favorite combo now is a G Loomis SR 842-2 7 FOOT GL3 WITH A Shimano STEELA 1000FA. I use Tectan line from 3.1-7.4 lb test. First outfit cost less than $20. Second one costs over $700. The older I get the more expensive my toys become. I bought my first G Loomis,a Premier 6 ft ultralight 25 years ago and it's still deadly on trout and panfish.

ragged edge

Well, my uncle still has his telephone. 5 bar as I recall. And yes 1/4 stick or primer cord will work as well. Used both. Local game wardens know me by name,I think, not that I have done anything wrong that they know about but they sure check my license. 3 times in a week and a half by the same guy!

Ron Don

Future Sponsor
I jig vertically 90% of the time. In open water i use BnM ultralites 10 - 12 footers. When fishing tops i go to a stiffer pole. I have an 11ft quantum Sac-a-lait that has a little more backbone but still sensitive. I try not to spend too much on poles... I tend to break them! Already broke two this year. :mad:

CK3

RonDon....you are a rod builder/repairer's dream!
If everyone would break two rods a year I could just throw my
SS check in the drawer!! Some of you guys aren't trying:D:D:D

Pup

My favorite outfit for crappie consists of:
  • An older Berkley "Gary Roach" Lightning Rod - 5'9" medium-light spinning
  • An older Mitchell/Spidercast SM200 IAR spinning reel
  • Power Pro 2/10 braided line
I use it for casting to count down and retrieve from a boat. Also, some casting with "do-nothing" retrieves from shore.

Hawnjigs

KISS
No luv from rod builders preferring discontinued off the rack models on eBay - same with reels & line. Think I'll be fine unless someone forces me to use their high end gear.

Since crappie shoreline stalking favors short rods in rock or brush obstructed casting situations and reels that won't make you cry if dropped when tripping/slipping on rocks right now its:
Fenwick HMX 5'3" ML
Daiwa Capricorn 1500 with 4# Fluoroclear

At least my fave tackle shop gets my bizness for replacement handles & bails.

Back