Well, here we go....

quivira kid

Picked up my first two molds and a few books at Zeiner's this weekend while we were in Wichita for lunch. I got the 1/16-oz production mold and walleye head with eye socket mold. Any tips for a newbie? This is gonna be fun....

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Fatman

Long pants, long sleeves, heavy gloves, boots, eye protection even so far as a full face shield. Drip can and make sure it's dry. Needle nose to grab the sprue to take them out.

What are you using for a melting pot??

Kdog

Well organized work space. Oh Yeah, a tuna can under the spout to catch drippies

Kdog

Something I postedd on another site that may well be worth a read.

We frequently overlook is our safety and the safety of others when pursuing our hobbies. So I thought I would post my general safety guidelines and maybe prevent an injury somewhere. This is by no means complete and is not a guarantee of complete safety but I have been doing this for over 30 years will no ill effects.

1. Safety Glasses, Goggles or even a face sheild are adviseable and a bare minimum is safety glasses, Lead spatters and even smoke from fluxing/cleanining lead can do serious harm and is quite painful. Gloves are adviseable as is a long sleeve shirt. I rarely wear either and frequently wish I had. I do however wear an oversize shop apron that keeps me clean.

2. Ventilation is a must. Exposure to lead and related chemicals is cumulative so you should never breathe the stuff. A minimum is a small fan that blows the toxic stuff away from you and your work area. Outdoors is even better but not always practical.

3. Cleaning/breaking down scrap lead. Always do outdoors and aways from kids and pets.

4. Keep materials dry. Molten lead and water do not mix.

5. Protect your investment such as your bottom pour furnace by fluxing your scrap in a pot or other vessel to prevent oxides from collecting on your pour valve - clean lead will save you countless hours of aggravation.

6. Your pouring station should have a way to catch lead if a leak occurs and IMO, sooner or later it will. I use a cookie sheet and place my melter in the center of it.

7. Collect a few small cans, I'm partial to cans from Tuna fish. Place these directly under your pour spout to catch little drips. Hey, they happen as do overpours.

8. Buy, make or otherwise obtain an ingot mold. I made mine from a piece of 1-1/2" square tube, cut one side off, bent two side out about 1/4" and welded ends on. Gives me a nice chunky ingot that fits in all of my melter. Great for preparing scrap and equally good for reducing metal level in your furnace at the end of a session. Here is the least expensive way I know of http://www.midwayusa.com/product/361222/lee-4-cavity-ingot-mold-with-handle?cm_vc=ProductFinding
Also. a release agent such as http://www.midwayusa.com/product/76...nt-and-lube-6-oz-aerosol?cm_vc=ProductFinding is handy to have, I use talcum powder but the previously noted product is great for all molds and is very neat.

9. Keep your lead clean. Wax can be used as a flux but is quite messy/smoky. I prefer a commercial product similar to these
http://www.brownells.com/gunsmith-t...ux/marvelux-bullet-casting-flux-prod1132.aspx
http://www.midwayusa.com/product/593033/frankford-arsenal-cleancast-lead-fluxing-compound-1-lb
They don't smoke or produce funky smells (wife does not approve of odors emanating from the basement). THere are several brands available and all have pretty much the same performance characteristics.

10. Keep your pouring area as clean and neat as possible and do your pouring when you can be free of distractions.

Be safe and sensible. If you are uncomfortable with the process, seek help. There is no sense in trying to do something that you are afraid of doing. There are a lot of people casting both fishing lures and lead bullets. Ask around and sooner or later you will find someone willing to help you get started.

Be safe and have fun

quivira kid

Dang..... Thanks! That's a lot of great stuff to keep in mind. I'm really excited to get started!

Uncle Grump

An easy to get/use ingot mold is to go to a 2nd hand shop - Goodwill, Salvation Army, etc and buy a cup cake tin. Will cost a $1 or so.

UG

quivira kid

Just figured I'd post another thanks. I've got a couple thousand jigs under my belt now, and am learning a LOT as I go!

Fatman

When you get near the end of a pot and decide that's it for the day take your molds with the warming chambers on the bottom and pour the extra lead into them, and you'll have ready to use clean lead bars that fit right into your pot.

If during pouring you absolutely need a drink of water or bathroom break!!LOL wash your hands in cold water not warm. Warm water opens up the pores in your skin.

jig-guy

Safety FIRST, 700 DEGREE + LEAD OR OTHER MATERIALS WILL KILL YA. Follow everything these folks posted. No distractions and complete focus always.
I have been making my ocean jigs for 23 years and most jigs are between 3 & 18 ounces.  I pour 99% of the time with a 20 pound pot and a 1 pound of lead ladle. You dump 1 pound of molten lead and you are in big trouble, just sayin.
Safety first and have fun.
jig-guy / Bill

Back