Well, hello there

Jig Man

A little sompin to send the eldest off to Minnesota....

View attachment 7

Gonna have a few of her buddies over, maybe a few rowdy friends...

View attachment 8

Had the pig in the ground, and got the beer on ice!

Attachments

• IMG_1638 (640x480).jpg
    IMG_1638 (640x480).jpg
    229.7 KB · Views: 75
  • IMG_1639 (640x480).jpg
    IMG_1639 (640x480).jpg
    188.1 KB · Views: 76

Jig Man

Hey, thanks for the comments guy's, hard to go wrong with pulled pork. It's purdy good with some scrambled eggs, cheese, and hot sauce rolled up in tortilla too...

Kdog

some spicy sauce and a fork... sticking with lo carb. and maybe some sweet and sour slaw gotta get some fiber sometime.

Hawnjigs

KISS
JM, your pic inspired me to fire up the grill today. Sizzled some pork chunks over Stubbs charcoal and wrapped in foil to simmer in the Weber. First time mainland style for me. In Hawaii whole pigs or butts are roasted in a dirt covered pit(imu) all day. The pull tender kalua pig has a distinct smoky flavor and the crispy-chewy brown skin is my favorite.

Jig Man

Hey Hawn long time we no visit. I haven't had the pleasure of visiting the Islands, but I have done the whole hog in the ground. Might be a little different variation, but they do turn out awesome...

Hawnjigs

KISS
Traditional Hawaiian style you heat a pile of selected rocks (that won't explode!) over a wood fire inna pit, then cover with a pile of green banana & ti leaves, put the pig on, then cover with more leaves & top with dirt for a complete seal. Newer version used wet burlap bags instead of leaves, now with bags scarce tarps go on top.

Never seen the mainland version of pit bbq, I imagine its similar?

Jig Man

Not sure how others do it on the main land, but what you mentioned is basically how I buried them. The main reason I stopped was because my friend from Houston passed away. Ending my supply of banana leaves. Didn't think about burlap, but somehow it doesn't seem the same.

hookup

I've done a few pit hogs when I lived in SoCA on the beach. We'd dig a big hole in the sand, fill it w/ coals, light, wait until they turn grey, then bury the pig all day. We'd surf to pass the time, then start drinking beer when the sun sets & open up the hole & eat.

duffy

The fire dept. here would do a 4th of July BBQ but would bury beef roast in a pit. They would just season them, wrap it heavy foil, wet burlap and bury in a layer. Man that was tasty!
My cousin had some Philippine friends do his wedding reception when I was about 10 yo. They had a pig on a spit and I remember my dad and uncle helped turn that pig all day long. I'm quite sure there was a whole lot of beer and whiskey involved too but man,,,that was the best thing I'd ever tasted at that time and it was one heck of a spread. Crispy skin and juicy on the inside with a nice smoke flavor. Dang it I just drooled on my keyboard. :D

Back